Cauliflower has been enjoying its moment under the sun for a couple of years now. A decade ago, if anyone told us that cauliflower would be used to make pizza crusts, we would call them crazy. Today, you can make absolutely anything weird with cauliflower and no one will bat an eyelid.
Cauliflower in milkshakes, cauliflower rice, cauliflower ‘cheese’ sauce, cauliflower ‘steaks’ are just some of the unusual avatars this vegetable from the brassica family has taken on.
I love my aloo-gobi, the North Indian style dry curry with cauliflower and potato. But I also love to feature cauliflower in salads. Roasting the florets in the air fryer makes them crisp outside, adding a crunchy element to salads.
I had worked on this cauliflower salad recipe for my book and then for some reasons left it out. So here it is. I am happy to share this delicious hearty salad recipe with you.
Things I love about this cauliflower salad:
- A hearty serving of two veggies
- Very well suited to the Indian palate
- Ingredients easily found in your kitchen
- Makes for a low carb lunch or dinner
More cauliflower recipes:
For this cauliflower salad, I first steam the florets and then saute them for a bit. Usage of zucchini is optional, but is a nice addition to bulk up this veggie salad. You can use toasted cashew nuts instead of peanuts.
Do look up this cauliflower and potato cold salad with Middle Eastern flavours
Salad Making Posts That You Will Find Useful
- 11 tips for making a really good salad
- 5 easy ways to jazz up any salad
- 15 essential salad making tools
Vegan Cauliflower Salad
- 1 small onion ~50 grams
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 250 grams cauliflower florets
- 1/2 medium green zucchini
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 small red or green chilli sliced
- 1-2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp roasted and crushed peanuts
- handful of cherry tomatoes halved
- finely chopped herbs or micro greens
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- Thinly slice the onion and separate the segments. In a small bowl, toss the onion segments in vinegar and salt and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Steam the cauliflower florets either in a stovetop steamer or microwave for 4-5 minutes until cooked but firm. Drain well and keep aside.
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise and chop into half-circles roughly 1 cm thick.
- In a pan, heat the oil. Stir in the turmeric. Fry the sliced chilli, cumin seeds and curry leaves. Toss the steamed cauliflower florets in this tempering. Add the sliced zucchini and saute for 3-4 minutes. Do not aim to cook the zucchini through.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt to season the veggies.
- To assemble the cauliflower salt, in a large bowl, add the prepared veggies. Squeeze the onion segments from the vinegar and add it to the salad.
- Sprinkle ground black pepper. Add the lemon juice and mix well. Remove into a bowl and garnish with peanuts, cherry tomato halves, grated coconut and micro greens (or chopped herbs of choice).
- This salad can be served warm or cold. It packs well in a lunch box too.
For over 30 original salad recipes with detailed instructions, get my book The Everyday Healthy Vegetarian! Get all the info about my book and order it here.
To get all my latest recipes and news straight into your mailbox, subscribe to my mailing list here and get a FREE copy of my e-book specially put together for you – The Ultimate Salad Master Table that will have you making salads like a pro HERE
Like what you see here? Stay connected with me on Instagram, Facebook, BlogLovin’ and Pinterest.
Leave Your Comments