How to put together a stunning Rainbow Mexican Salad Platter
After much love for the Watermelon Feta Salad Platter fit for a party, here’s my second one in the Salad Platter Series. (And, there’s more to come in this series) This is one salad platter that combines colours, flavours and healthy ingredients to its fullest. I have blogged several Mexican vegetarian recipes and this one salad is sure to add that extra wow factor to your Mexican party menu.
Traditionally, Mexican dishes use black beans, but it is difficult to find them in India. You do get some canned varieties, which I have linked in the shopping section below. I prefer to use the small variety of kidney beans (Jammu Rajma) that is roughly the same size as the corn.
Using a whole bunch of other brightly coloured ingredients like corn, tomatoes, bell peppers, avocados (if you find the perfectly ripe ones) add so much colour to your platter.
Don’t Miss: 13 best ingredients for summer salads
Chop all the ingredients to match the size of the corn and beans for that even look in this Mexican Salad Platter.
Roasted cumin seeds, coarsely pounded along with dried oregano provide a smoky and earthy flavour to the salad. If you can find smoked paprika or chipotle chillies in adobo sauce, go ahead and add some of it for a bigger flavour punch.
My top favourite things about this Mexican Salad Platter
- The fibre from the beans and vegetables keeps you filled up for long
- One serving of this salad gives us a good dose of healthy fats from the avocado
- This salad is absolutely loaded in vitamin C from the bell peppers and lemons
- If you use canned beans, it is almost a no cook salad
- It stays fresh for at least 2 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator with no danger of any wilted lettuce
Want ideas for a Vegetarian Mexican Themed Dinner Party?
- Pico de gallo
- Charred Corn Salsa
- Refried Beans
- Tostada Shells
- Multigrain Tortillas
- Loaded Nachos
- Mexican Salad Platter
Read more about Salad Platters and a Watermelon Feta Salad Platter
Shopping For This Recipe
Mexican Salad Platter
- 1.5 cups cooked beans black beans or small kidney beans
- 1.5 cups cooked corn see notes
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes seeds discarded
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 medium avocados stone discarded and cut into cubes
- 3 lemons
- 1 tbsp ground roasted cumin seed
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped coriander
- 1/4 cup sour cream optional / omit for Vegan
- 1 tsp smoked paprika optional
- To prepare the Rainbow Mexican Salad Platter, start by dousing the cubed avocados generously with lemon juice as soon as you cut it.
- In a large platter, arrange the beans, corn, onion, tomato, bell pepper and avocados.
- Set out the seasonings, coriander, sour cream and paprika in small bowls.
- You can either mix everything together in a large bowl to make a big batch of Mexican salad for a crowd or allow guests to mix their own salad. You can also set out all the salad components such as beans, corn and veg in separate bowls.
To get all my latest recipes and news straight into your mailbox, subscribe to my mailing list here and get a free copy of my e-book specially put together for you – The Ultimate Salad Master Table that will have you making salads like a pro HERE
For more such healthy recipes, get my book The Everyday Healthy Vegetarian! Get all the info about my book and order it here.
Like what you see here? Stay connected with me on Instagram, Facebook, BlogLovin’ and Pinterest.
Leave Your Comments