Honey Banana Muffins -inspired by a Nigella Lawson recipe
Honey Banana Muffins are one of the easiest basic muffins you can make. Quite similar to banana breads which are pretty much every baking novice’s favourite. I think I spotted this recipe on one of Nigella Lawson’s cooking shows and I managed to find the recipe online. The flavour of honey goes quite well with that of Bananas and prevents them from turning cloyingly sweet which is a possibility when you use white sugar to make banana muffins.
These make the perfect kiddie lunch box treat or after school snack, or even a quick breakfast as the kids walk to the bus stop.
Honey Banana Muffins- modified recipe from How to be a Domestic Goddess
Lots more easy muffin recipes that I know you’d love to try
Banana muffins with choco swirls
Eggless Choco Muffins – Airfryer
Honey Banana Muffins
- 1/2 cup Maida all purpose flour /
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder heaped
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder (use cardamom powder for a variation)
- 2 bananas large very ripe
- 3 tbsps honey (generous)
- 2 tbsps unsalted butter (i used salted butter and omitted the extra salt)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsps nuts finely chopped mixed and a little more for topping
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 175 C/ 350 F.
- Sieve the flours with baking soda and baking powder into a large bowl. Add cinnamon / cardamom powder to it and keep aside.
- Mash the bananas with a fork and keep aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan on very low heat. Spoon the honey and vanilla essence into the melted butter and pour this butter mixture into the mashed bananas. Mix the finely chopped nuts into this.
- Add the above mixture to the prepared flour. Just mix them gently until you have "a not terribly attractive lumpy sludge, but don't worry about it."
- Spoon the mixture into a well greased / 'lined with paper cups' muffin tray. This mixture yeilded me 9 medium to large muffins. Rather i force fitted the entire batter into my 9 cup muffin tray. You could spread them over 12. Top each cup with a little sprinking of nuts.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Cool and serve with tea or for breakfast.
Hey Nandita,this is very bad you must give us some clue right?Mmmm….I dont know whether I will sound funny but going by the pomegranate rasam,my answer is pomegranate muffin,Oh no!
hmmm…this is tough, u have wickedly not given a close up pic …!!! hehehe So I am going to safely say eggs and sugar !!!! yey yeyyy and just a wildddd guess ..ur pomegranates 🙂
U know That I know one 🙂 and did u use apple sauce or veg oil ?
Sumi, my answers to the three of you are going to be some kind of clue-and pl give the pomegranates a break LOLPriya- all your 3 tries are wrong-come on !! you can do better than that :DNeelu- you have not got the answers right eitherAnd for the first time, my guessing game is proving to be a slight bit of a challenge for my fellow bloggers 🙂
Hey N I judt dropped by to say my post was ready but couldnt upload snaps when I saw you had extended the deadline. Great…you will surely have my entry by tomorrow.My guess is orange for some reason..I think I see bits of orange zest in there. And chocolate maybe? Almonds?
Is that two words? I see two blanks?Some kind of nuts, I can see?
Honey ! lol Now I have 1 item correct ok ? Did u use butter if not oil ? That could be a a possibility
My guess is bran.
hmmm… no SUGAR also…sugar free muffins….but whyy..!! Well then, oil,water,milk ..hmm…I have never ever baked a cake in my life …so this is pure guessing..!! Heyyy….BANANA-NUT muffin !!!! 🙂
Banana nut ????
Ashwini-My deadline remains-ie. coming Sunday, but date for sending me has been pushed a little, no probs, you can send me by tomorrow.No chocolate, no orange zest (though i like the idea) and a little bit of mixed nuts sprinkled on the top- but not a main ingredientLG-yes there are two blanks and one of them is Banana and no other is not nutNeelu- why do i feel that i must have told you about this on one of our chats without thinking that i’ll be using it for a guessing game-LOLLalitha- Bran is good, probably will use it next time to add more fibre to the treats, but haven’t used it this timePriya- it is sugar free, that’s a good guess-but no oil, no water and no milk, HahahaBut Banana is right dear girl!Revathi-Banana is right but not ‘nut’Look for the answers in my post nowThis guessing game was the best one so far LOL 😀
Nice one Nandita! The idea of using honey instead of sugar is pretty good!
I agree completely – “foolproof” is what I look for in a recipe which involves baking! It’s right up there with another quality – “simple” 🙂 I love banana muffins, and I’ve got 3-4 kinds of honey, so i guess my next muffin effort will most likely be this recipe!
Hey Nandita,Have you mentioned how many bananas are required? Or have I overseen it? Well, I have three black bananas with yellow spots (it is usually supposed to be the other way around, right?:)) in my kitchen and I do fancy using them in this recipe of yours. Just need to know how many can go in. 🙂
Sorry i totally forgot to mention the main ingredient-ie.banana, thanks Vaishali for pointing outIts 2 large very ripe bananas- have included now
Banana muffins??that’s so sweet Honey!!
Nandita: what is AP flour? Many thanks.