Lemon Blueberry Muffins -a recipe – baking with kids
This recipe for lemon blueberry muffins is my kid’s favourite! Do try it out with frozen blueberries that you get in most supermarkets these days in the frozen products section.
The two week holidays are back and it’s that time of the year when I struggle to find ways to interest my pre-schooler boy outside of the iPad or DVDs. Last afternoon, it was baking time.
I pulled out the Muffins Bible from the bookshelf, read out the recipe for Blueberry muffins to the son, made him wear his spiderman apron, spread newspapers on the kitchen table and we were all set to bake together. He promptly recruited my househelp as the sous chef’s sous chef, i mean, his sous chef.
We measured out the dry ingredients, and the boy threatened to stir it with so much enthusiasm that I thought there would be more flour outside the bowl than inside it. When it was time to crack the eggs, he wanted to do it all by himself, breaking each of them like coconuts on the tines of the fork.
My househelp’s heart was in her mouth, in the fear that how much clean up we’d have to do if he broke the eggs on the floor. Thankfully, it wasn’t that much of a disaster.
We managed to fill up the muffin cups and when I turned around to put it in the preheated oven, guess what I see? When my attention had turned elsewhere for a nanosecond, he had cranked up oven temperature to 250C, changed the oven setting to ‘grill’ – one crazy sous chef indeed.
After some rectifications, the muffin tin finally went inside and then he sat almost burning his nose by touching it to the oven glass, to wait for them to be ready.
Finally when it was out, he didn’t mind his tongue getting burnt but he had to taste them immediately. This morning, I asked him if he could recall how we made the muffins, this is what he drew. This made me a happy mom 🙂
Lemon Blueberry Muffins
Makes 15 medium sized muffins
Lots more easy muffin recipes that I know you’d love to try
Lemon Blueberry Muffins - with the kid in the kitchen
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup oil or 1/2 cup oil + 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 cup milk (at room temperature)
- lemon zest from 2 lemons
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup blueberries * (frozen or fresh)
- Preheat the oven at 190°C.
- In a large bowl, mix the flours, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and mix well with a fork or a whisk.
- Whisk the oil / butter, vanilla extract, eggs and milk in another bowl. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice, give it a quick whisk and add this to the big bowl of dry ingredients.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners or grease them well with butter.
- Divide the batter between the 12 muffin holes. If there's any extra, make in the next batch, or bake a baby cake with left over batter.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the tops are golden brown.