Recipe for Easy Banana Muffins with Choco Swirl
Holidays have begun and the banana tree is being really generous with bananas. So what does a mum do, but make REALLY delicious banana muffins! And not to mention eat more than her fair share of them. Enter the Banana Muffins with Choco Swirls…
I’ve made banana muffins more times than I care to remember, but this recipe I remember well, because it gives the lightest, softest muffins. They turn out beautiful even plain, but the kid is a chocolate lover, which is why the choco chips and the choco swirls. To make it even easier, feel free to avoid that part, and add some chopped walnuts to the mix instead.
Vegan Banana Muffins with Choco Swirls: The egg really contributes to the lightness of the muffin. But if you must avoid it, then use 1/4 cup yogurt or 1 tbsp flaxseed meal whisked in 3 tbsp of hot water as an egg replacement.
Lots More Easy Muffin Recipes That I Know You’d Love To Try
Banana Muffins with Choco Swirls
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 bananas (riper the better) large
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup rice bran oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
for choco swirls
- 2 tsps cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup club soda (you may not need all of it)
- To make Banana Muffins with Choco Swirls, start by preheating the oven at 175°C.
- Prepare a 12 cup muffin tray by lining with paper cups. If you don't have paper cups, grease and flour the cups.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients - flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
- Mash the bananas with a fork or the back of a wooden ladle. Mash in the sugar, oil, vanilla extract. Beat in the egg.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Mix gently until just combined.
- Remove roughly 1/2 cup of batter in a small bowl.
- Add the chocochips (and any nuts if using) to the remaining batter. Stir through and distribute between the 12 muffin cups.
- To the remaining 1/2 cup batter, add 2 tsp cocoa powder, and thin using 2-3 tbsp of club soda. If you don't happen to have soda on hand, then just use milk instead.
- Add a spoonful this cocoa-batter on top of each muffin and give it a swirl with a toothpick.
- Keep inside preheated oven to bake for 15 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Serve warm.
- These will stay in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Warm in microwave for 10 seconds before serving.