recipe for vegetable lettuce wraps – salad / anytime snack / appetiser
This Sunday, we had all the time in the world to enjoy their fun ambience and choose a few more dishes to try out. I’m a big fan of lettuce cups / rolls. The crunch of the iceberg lettuce paired with the deliciously flavoursome toppings, along with a killer dipping sauce, makes it a thoroughly addictive dish. In fact, between the husband and me, we ordered two of these. Bell peppers, zucchini, soy granules, lots of Thai Basil, lots of chillies, you must try this to believe it when I say you cannot stop at one plate of these.
Such dishes immediately spark off an inspiration in people who love to potter around in the kitchen, and I decided to put the lettuce patch in my kitchen garden to good use. No iceberg lettuce, but regular lettuce, paired with some of the vegetables, made an excellent evening snack for me. I shall be making this more often, with tofu / soy granules, topped with roasted peanuts.
Hardly any cooking involved, can be put in the middle of the table for the family and friends to help themselves. This recipe is SO summer ready, I tell you!
Veggie Lettuce Wraps
- 12 Lettuce leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic Finely
- 1 tsp chopped ginger finely
- 1/2 tsp chillies finely chopped green or red
- 1/2 cup carrot finely diced
- 1/2 cup capsicum finely diced
- 1/4 tbsp eggplant finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Thai basil finely chopped
- 2 tbsps soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- to taste Salt
- 2 - 3 tbsps coriander Finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pineapple Finely diced
- 2 tbsps coconut fresh grated
- Wash the lettuce thoroughly and dry between layers of a clean kitchen towel or in a salad spinner. Keep aside.
- In a pan, heat the oil. Saute the finely chopped garlic, ginger and green chillies for 1 minute or so.
- Add all the chopped vegetables, and stir on a medium flame for 1-2 minutes.
- Season with soy sauce, add 3-4 tbsp of water. Cover and cook until vegetables are cooked. Check for salt and add a little as required, as the soy sauce has already salted the veggie mix. Add the vinegar, finely chopped coriander and toss well. Remove from flame and cool to bring to room temperature.
- Lay out the lettuce leaves in a dish or platter. Spoon 2-3 tsp of mix over each leaf. Top with fresh pineapple pieces and a sprinkling of fresh coconut.
- You can also add roasted and crushed peanuts as a garnish.
- How to eat: Just scrunch up the lettuce with toppings and eat it in one bite, or if you are feeling more adventurous, then two bites 😀