Vegetarian Pumpkin Recipes – a collection of 21 savoury and sweet for you to try when pumpkins are in season.
It is not that pumpkin is my favourite vegetable. A combination of having a bumper harvest of pumpkins in my kitchen garden + the fact that this is such a versatile vegetable has resulted in me trying out several pumpkin recipes over the years.
Be it in traditional Indian recipes, or baking recipes or even desserts, pumpkin does not disappoint.
Nutrition in pumpkin
Pumpkin is low in calories due to its high water content. One cup of cooked pumpkin provides around 50 calories.
A cup of cooked pumpkin has over double the daily requirement of vitamin A. Vitamin A along with lutein and zeaxanthin helps with good vision. The bright orange colour of the pumpkin comes from beta carotene which is the precursor to vitamin A. Beta carotene, along with vitamin E, prevents sun damage to the skin. Increased intake of alpha and beta carotene in the diet is linked to reduced incidence of stomach cancers as well.
Pumpkin is rich in fibre too. A cup of cooked pumpkin provides around three grams of fibre.
Pumpkin is a good source of magnesium that helps with nervous system regulation and muscle relaxation and is a good food choice for those who work out a lot.
Pumpkin is also a good source of the amino acid tryptophan, which gets converted to the neurotransmitter serotonin that helps with unwinding and sleep.
Excerpted from my book, Everyday Superfoods
Breakfast Pumpkin Recipes
Saving some pumpkin puree in the fridge can lead to some interesting breakfast options with a serving of this healthy vegetable.
3. Healthy Pumpkin Smoothie with Turmeric
Soups, Stews, Curries and Sides with Pumpkin
4. Roasted Pumpkin Soup with flavours of Lemongrass and Ginger – this pumpkin soup recipe combines the mild pumpkin flavour with bold flavours of ginger and lemongrass, getting a whole new personality – this soup is so fall-ready!
5. Sweet Sour Spicy Pumpkin Soup – Pumpkin Chaaru, a South Indian pumpkin recipe, where tamarind, spice powder and a bit of sweetness from jaggery come together to make a delicious soup. You can sip this as it is, or mix some chaaru with rice and slurp from a bowl.
6. Pumpkin, Lentils and Spring Onion Soup– this pumpkin soup is just what the doctor ordered to keep you warm on cold evenings, keep the bread handy!
7. Vegan Pumpkin Soup with Jalapenos
8. Stew of Pumpkin, Lentils and Sweet Potato – a winter special pumpkin recipe for you, this one pot filling and healthy dish perfect for dinner
9. Pumpkin Raita – or a South Indian style pumpkin and yogurt dish, makes an excellent vegetarian side dish or as an addition to a simple Indian menu.
Vegetarian Main Course Pumpkin Recipes
Lots of Indian main course dishes make use of pumpkin in curries, sambar, dal and so on. Get creative by using it in combination with tofu as in the pumpkin tofu rice.
10. Punjabi style sweet and sour Pumpkin Subzi – Kaddu ki subzi, popular in Punjabi homes, pairs best with puris or deep fried Indian bread. (super popular recipe)
11. Vegetarian Parsi Dhansakh– this curry is a mix of lentils, vegetables and freshly ground spices, goes best with rice
12. Marinated Tofu and Pumpkin Rice – great to carry in a lunchbox or as an Asian main course dish for a quick dinner
Pumpkin in Bakes and Sweets
Pumpkin lends its natural sweetness to baked goods. It also gives a softer texture to the end product, with lesser use of fat, making it a good choice in healthy baking recipes. It also counts as a portion of vegetables eaten for the day.
14. Chai Spiced Pumpkin Mini Bundt Cakes – a guilt-free cake, low in fat, turns out super moist thanks to pumpkin puree.
15. Pumpkin Coffee Cake – a simple tea cake perfect as an accompaniment to tea or coffee
16. Healthy Pumpkin Oats Coconut Squares – combines all good things in one slice- desiccated coconut, oats, pumpkin puree – suitable for breakfast on the go.
17. Pumpkin and Date Cake – full of healthy goodness from pumpkin and dates, a good option for a lunchbox treat or a morning coffee accompaniment
18. Marbled Pumpkin Cake – This double colour cake is sure to delight kids and adults alike!
19. Pumpkin Chocochip Muffins – an easy recipe that is perfect for an on-the-go snack or a quick breakfast with a cup of milk or coffee
20. Pumpkin and Carrot Halwa – a delicious Indian dessert, a fitting finale to an Indian meal
21. Kesar Badam Kheer with Pumpkin
Do try out these pumpkin recipes while they are in season and enjoy the health benefits of this versatile vegetable!
Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte (made with Horchata)
Before You Leave…
- Preorder my brand new book The Great Indian Thali
- For those of you who love the DIY life, check out my book 3, This Handmade Life
- My book on effortless healthy eating every day – Everyday Superfoods
- For a little dose of calm and comfort in your inbox join 5000+ readers to subscribe to my free fortnightly newsletter Sattva.
- Check out my Amazon store to see and buy my favourite home and kitchen products.
[originally published on Oct 11, 2015, updated 17 Oct, 2022]
Lovely ! Hoping to try them out sometime 🙂
Thank you @Prabha aunty 🙂