Mango Lassi Banana Frozen Yogurt is the summer dessert for you, if you love Mango Lassi. Simple to make, full of flavour and makes a beautiful summer party dessert!
As summer comes to a close, there’s the frantic rush to get as much as we can from the mango season. Eat them fresh, freeze them, prepare our favourite dishes, in short, just make the most of them. Mango Lassi is probably the most sold item in most Indian restaurants abroad. The sweet refreshing taste of a mango lassi plays the perfect foil to a spicy meal, for the non-Indian palate, unaccustomed to eating a meal full of heat and spices.
Sorbets are a kind of frozen dessert, typically prepared using fruit purees. They are often served as palate cleaners in between courses in a multi course meal. My tastebuds still have memories of the tingle from an aam-panna sorbet from one of the tasting menus I attended months ago! I’ve been dreaming of this vibrant yellow ripe mango sorbet, wanting to make them before the mango season makes an exit.
When Mother’s Dairy asked me to come up with a recipe using their Mango Lassi in connection with the #summerofhappiness theme, I immediately thought of this Mango Lassi Banana frozen yogurt rich with the flavours of mango and cardamom. In this case, some frozen bananas were added to give a creaminess to the dish. Mango Lassi from Mother’s Dairy, has a delicate mango flavour unlike the really strong taste in most commercially available mango drinks and it is very mildly sweet. To build up on the mango flavour, I added some fresh mangoes, cardamom for the warm spicy notes and banana for extra creaminess and sweetness. Sweetened with some honey, it made a lovely batch of frozen yogurt, which is good enough to have for breakfast (yes, why not!) and when served with some decadent toppings, makes an elegant summer dessert.
I used the Smoothie and Manual blender function of the soupmaker, but it can well be done in any good blender. If you have an ice-cream maker, nothing like it! Just follow manufacturer’s instructions and make yourself a batch of this frozen yogurt.
RECIPE for Mango Lassi Banana Frozen Yogurt
Makes one standard loaf tin
Recipe for Mango Lassi and Banana Frozen Yogurt
- 400 ml Mango Lassi
- 400 ml Yogurt
- 400 grams ripe mango (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1 large banana peeled and sliced
- 3 tbsps honey
- 5 - 6 pods green cardamom
- mint leaves
- few tbsp mango finely chopped or sliced
- 4 tbsps coconut desiccated
- 1 tbsp brown sugar granulated
- To prepare the mango lassi frozen yogurt, take a large bowl, whisk the mango lassi with the plain yogurt. Freeze in ice tray for 4-5 hours until set, covered tightly with cling film.
- Place the chopped fruit in a freezer friendly airtight box and freeze for 4-5 hours.
- Peel cardamon pods and keep the seeds aside.
- In a high power blender or soupmaker, using the smoothie function, blend / churn the frozen mango lassi, yogurt and fruits along with honey and cardamom seeds.
- Once it is quite smooth and keep pulsing to churn them well and break any icy parts. This whole process should be done for 5 minutes or so.
- Remove the mango lassi frozen yogurt into a loaf tin or an airtight container.Cover loaf tin with cling wrap.Freeze for 4-5 hours until firmly set.
- To prepare coconut topping, in a non-stick pan, on a low flame, stir the desiccated coconut with sugar until its well toasted and caramelised. Keep aside.
- To serve, scoop out 1-2 scoops of mango lassi banana sorbet in a glass or ice cream bowl.
- Top with caramelised coconut, finely chopped mango cubes and mint leaves.