Love ice cream? Love mangoes?
Then you’re in for a delight here!
If I told you, you can make a mango ice cream at home with just 2 ingredients, one of them being mango of course (duh!), what would your reaction be?
I got this idea like a bolt from the blue and I was super excited to see how this would turn out. And I’m glad to say that the results are totally on point. All the mango ice creams of the world can go take a walk now, because you can make this creamy and healthy instant mango ice cream right now in your kitchen.
Peel and dice the mango into small cubes. Arrange the diced mango in a single layer on a plate or baking tray. Stick it in the freezer for 2-3 hours. This is the hardest part of the recipe. Trust me. Waiting for the mango to freeze.
For every cup of frozen mango cubes, take 2 tbsp milk powder – skimmed or otherwise, does not matter.
In a mixer jar, throw in the frozen mango cubes and the skimmed milk powder. Blend until all the frozen mango is broken down and you get a creamy result. When it’s ready, the ‘ice cream’ will come together into a large ball.
At this point, you can scoop it into a bowl, top with a few mango pieces and dig into a soft serve texture ice cream. If you like it a little more frozen, stick the bowl into the freezer and eat after 15 minutes.
So what’s amazing about this ice cream recipe?
- You need just 2 ingredients.
- No gadgets other than the fridge and the mixer.
- MUCH healthier than other ice creams because no sugar, additives, preservatives – only real fruit and milk powder! A bowl of this ice cream made from 1 cup frozen mango cubes + 2 tbsp skimmed milk powder is 170 calories.
- You can make it vegan by adding coconut milk powder instead of milk powder. I haven’t tried this one out though.
What else can you add to this?
In the final stage of blending, add a couple of your favourite cookies. I tried it with Speculoos and it was getting to the point of scary, because I couldn’t stop eating it. You can try ginger cookies or chocolate cookies.
I tried the same with papaya (yes, the fruit that everyone LOVES to hate) and the results were as amazing. I’m sure this will taste as good with frozen banana or chikoo too.
2 Ingredient Instant Mango Ice cream
- 1 mango large ripe
- 3 tbsps milk skimmed powder
- Peel and dice the mango into small cubes. You should have 1.5 cups of cubes.
- Arrange in a single layer on a baking tray or a dish. Put it in the freezer for 3-4 hours.
- In a mixer jar, add the frozen mango cubes and milk powder.
- Blend on high speed until you get the consistency of soft serve ice cream. Do give breaks in the blending process so the motor does not get over heated.
- Scoop out into a bowl. Serve immediately or freeze for 10-15 minutes before serving.