Looking for an unusual hummus flavour that you’ve never made or tasted before? This Turmeric Hummus with Green Mango is just the one for you.
Hummus is a universal favourite – it is vegan, it is versatile and enjoys place of pride in the list of healthy snacks. On my trip to Jordan last year, I ate hummus it for every other meal for 7 days and was joking that I am off hummus for the rest of my life. The number of variations you can do on this simple dish, does allow you to make a unique flavour every single time.
Vary the kind of beans used, do a spin on the flavours you add to the mix, use veggies and herbs that lend a colour (Hello, Green Goddess Hummus) and voila you have an unusual hummus flavour!
Green mangoes make an appearance in the Indian markets just before summer hits hard and brings a bounty of a plethora of mango varieties. Using Turmeric and green mango in this hummus gives it a summer twist. It is much lighter than the regular hummus as there’s considerably less EVOO. Does the appearance of tahini in the ingredients list stop you from making hummus at home? This one has no Tahini, so all the more reason you can try it out asap!
Turmeric, be it the fresh root or the ground variety is abound with health benefits. Adding seasonal fresh turmeric to hummus gives it a beautiful golden hue while giving you yet another way to make use of this magical spice.
Want more ways to use turmeric? Check out more turmeric recipes here.
How to use this unusual turmeric hummus with green mango?
- Smear on slices of bread to make a sandwich
- Use it as a dip with veggie sticks or serve along with roasted vegetables
- Make veggie or lettuce wraps using this hummus as the first layer.
- Try this recipe using sweet ripe mango instead of the tart green variety and squeeze of half a lemon, for yet another usual variety of hummus.
Love hummus? You MUST try these two specials –
Turmeric Hummus with Green Mango
- 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 tsp grated fresh turmeric root
- 1/2 cup diced green mango
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 green chilies
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- To prepare the turmeric hummus with green mango, grind all ingredients except olive oil, with 1/4 cup water, to a smooth puree. Remove into a bowl.
- Garnish with the extra virgin olive oil, few strands of grated fresh turmeric and some fresh mint.