Recipe for Ash gourd pulissery – Onam Sadya recipe | Moru Curry | White pumpkin and yogurt curry
There is quite a bit of overlap between the vegetarian recipes from Kerala and parts of Tamil Nadu along the border. In Tamil cuisine, there is Moar Kuzhambu, which is prepared using slightly soured yogurt or buttermilk, combined with a spice paste to thicken and flavour the curry. Vegetables like colocassia, okra, brinjal or pumpkin are used in this curry. Pulissery is Kerala’s answer to the Tamil mor kuzhambu – a similar stew made using yogurt and spice-coconut paste.
The Onam Sadya menu always features a Pulissery or a Moru Curry (Buttermilk curry) with either ash gourd or cucumber. It is also called Kachiya Moru, which means cooked or stewed buttermilk.
The heat from the green chillies is mellowed by the coconut and yogurt and cumin provides a distinct aroma to the dish.
The flavours of a Pulissery are best enjoyed with steamed rice and a spicy thoran on the side.
Onam Special - Ash Gourd Pulissery
- 250 grams ash gourd winter melon diced /
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1.5 cups yogurt sour
to grind to a paste
- 1/2 cup coconut grated
- 3 - 4 green chillies
- 1.5 tsps cumin seeds
- 1 tsp rice flour
- 2 tsps coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 - 3 chillies dried red
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- In a pan, bring 2 cups water to a boil with turmeric and salt. Add diced ash gourd pieces to this and boil for 8-10 minutes until they are tender. Do not overcook this, the gourd pieces must retain their shape.
- Meanwhile, in a mixer jar, grind the chilli, coconut, cumin, rice flour to a fine paste using 3-4 tbsp water. Remove this into a bowl and whisk in the yogurt to get a smooth mixture.
- Add this mixture to the cooked ash gourd and bring to a simmer over a low flame.
- Do not bring this to a vigorous boil.
- Heat the oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds. Once it splutters, add the curry leaves, fenugreek seeds and red chillies. Once the fenugreek turns golden brown, transfer this tempering over the pulissery.
Leave Your Comments