Easy microwave steamed broccoli is a recipe that is ready in less than 7 minutes. Having peeled garlic in your refrigerator makes this even quicker. This broccoli side can be served by itself or used as a part of a quick dinner. Quick dinner ideas are shared in the post below.
Winter is almost fading away from Bangalore, but in the last 2-3 weeks our local supermarket is stocking a mountain of broccoli at very cheap prices. Usually it costs around Rs. 350-400/kilo and presently it is around Rs.60-70 a kilo. The best part is they are extremely fresh and a dark shade of green. I’ve been bringing home 4-5 broccolis every Sunday for use in a variety of dishes. Ours is a broccoli loving family, so we are enjoying the bounty to the hilt while it lasts.
On my 5-2 fast days, I steam up a big bowl of broccoli florets and season it with salt, pepper and lemon juice for a super healthy, low-cal meal that keeps me filled up for a few hours.
This recipe for microwaved steamed broccoli with garlic and sesame seeds is my other go-to way to cook it.
While you don’t need a microwave to steam broccoli, it makes absolute quick work of preparing this highly nutritious crucifer just right. The steamed broccoli is then ready to use in any recipe of your choice.
How to steam broccoli without a steamer
- break the broccoli into florets
- wash the florets by immersing for 5 minutes in a bowl of water
- drain and place in microwave safe bowl with lid
- no need to add extra water
- microwave for 4-5 minutes depending on size of florets
The advantages of steamed broccoli in microwave is that it retains its bright green colour. It is very quick and all you need is a microwave safe bowl with a lid.
One easy broccoli recipe – 5 dishes
Here are some of the ways you can use this microwave steamed broccoli with garlic and sesame
- Broccoli noodles: cook noodles and toss along with the broccoli dish
- Broccoli grain bowl: Serve a portion of the garlic sesame broccoli along with cooked brown rice, baked tofu and cucumber sticks for a complete vegan and gluten free meal
- Broccoli quinoa salad: Toss along with quinoa, pomegranate and almonds in a balsamic dressing or an Asian soy-ginger dressing
- Broccoli marinara pasta: cooked pasta, tomato-based pasta sauce, topped with this garlic sesame broccoli
- Broccoli and eggs breakfast: serve with scrambled eggs or an omelette for breakfast or brunch
The best way to make your kids eat broccoli: 6 ingredient pasta dish
Microwave Steamed Broccoli with garlic and sesame seeds
- 1 large or 2 medium sized broccolis
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 12 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds + more for garnish
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lemon
- To prepare microwave steamed broccoli, break the broccoli into bite sized florets and give it a good wash.
- Place the florets in a microwave safe bowl with a lid and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes
- Alternately, place them in a steamer basket and steam for 7-8 minutes until they are cooked but retain a bite.
- While the broccoli is cooking, heat oil in a large pan. Crush the garlic with salt in a mortar pestle and fry in the oil on a medium flame for a minute or so. Don’t let it turn dark brown in colour.
- Add the sesame seeds to the oil and fry quickly on a high flame for a few seconds.
- Transfer the steamed broccoli to the pan and toss well in the garlic-sesame mixture.
- Remove this to a serving bowl. Squeeze a lemon over the broccoli and it’s ready to serve.
If you are looking for more healthy broccoli recipes, here are some you will find in my book – The Everyday Healthy Vegetarian:
- Broccoli and Green Peas with Bengali Five–Spice Mix
- Broccoli and Corn soup
- Broken Wheat with Broccoli, Green Peas and Fresh Mint
Sign up to my newsletter by putting in your email in the box in the right sidebar, to get all latest posts in your email. No spam. Promise.