Recipe for Cucumber Kichadi | Onam Sadhya Recipes | Kerala style cucumber raita
This recipe reminds me why Indian cuisine is pretty damn amazing. Straight off the bat, I can give you 3 traditional Indian ways to make a cucumber raita…
–Kheere ka raita from the North with plain yogurt, tempering and a sprinkling of roasted cumin powder, chaat masala and red chili powder
–Khamang Kakdi from Maharashtra, which is more of a salad than a raita, but it has yogurt so I don’t mind putting it in the latter category
and this Vellarikka Kichadi from Kerala, which regularly features in the Onam Sadhya, where the cucumber is first cooked and then mixed with a spice paste of coconut, cumin, mustard, and then tossed in yogurt.
The cooking of the finely chopped cucumber, gives it quite a different flavour and a completely different texture. Top it up with the coconut and spice paste and you get a cucumber raita like one you’ve never tasted before (unless of course you are a Malayali and you’ve grown up eating this)
Even if you are not cooking a traditional Kerala meal, do make this Cucumber Kichadi instead of your regular cucumber raita with an Indian meal. I guarantee you’ll love it!
Other vegetables that can be used to prepare Kichadi : Carrot, Bitter gourd, Okra
- 1 cucumber large (250 grams or so)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 green chilli
- 1 cup yogurt (not very sour)
grind to a paste
- 2 - 3 tbsps coconut fresh
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsps coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 red chilli dried
- 5 - 6 curry leaves , torn
- Peel, halve and deseed the cucumber. Chop into a fine dice.
- In a pan, add the diced cucumber with a splash of water (less than 1/4 cup), salt and finely chopped green chilli. Cover and cook until cucumber is soft and water has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, grind the coconut, cumin, mustard seeds to a paste with 1-2 tbsp of water.
- Add this paste to the cooked cucumber.
- Remove into a bowl and cool for 10 minutes.
- Whisk the yogurt well and mix it into the bowl with the cucumber. Add a pinch of salt if required, as per taste.
- Heat oil in the pan. Add the ingredients for tempering and transfer over the kichadi.