Sutta Kathrikkai Pacchidi – Charred eggplant and yogurt Indian style raita
Grill an eggplant on an open flame, peel it and and you have a variety of ways to use the flesh. I can list 5 right away
- Prepare a gravy with onions, tomatoes, ginger garlic paste and spice powders like red chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric and you can make a delicious Baingan ka Bharta.
- Blend it with some garlic, tahini, yoghurt and it turns into Baba Gannoush. Or make a Mutebal perhaps!
- Blend it with some sauteed onions, flavour with saffron strands and pine nuts and it turns into a Badenjan dip.
- Whisk in some fresh yogurt and do a traditional South Indian tadka and what you get is a Sutta Kathrikkai Pacchidi.
- Make a side dish called Gothsu that is perfect with Pongal.
This is a traditional South Indian Pacchidi (Raita). You could use small green chillies to make it fierier and garnish with fresh coriander. The eggplant pachidi goes well with most South Indian rice preparations like lemon rice, coconut rice or even tamarind rice.