This grilled corn salad with orzo pasta and asparagus is a colourful healthy addition to a summertime menu. Read my post and get this easy recipe for a delicious salad.
I hope you haven’t missed out this beautiful chilled corn soup recipe made using fresh summer produce and apples! A Saffron Trail ORIGINAL 🙂
Grilled Corn Salad with Orzo Pasta
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta
- 1 small ear of sweet corn
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 small bunch asparagus
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 1.5 tsp salt divided
- Bring 1 litre of water to boil with 1 tsp salt. Add the orzo pasta and cook for 7 minutes or as per pack instructions. Drain and keep aside.
- Bend the asparagus spears so they break at the optimum point, giving you the top portions to cook and the more fibrous part of the stem to discard. Chop the asparagus into 1” batons. Blanche the asparagus in a small pot of boiling water for 4-5 minutes and immerse in cold water to retain the green colour. Remove and dry out on a kitchen towel.
- While the pasta is cooking, peel the husk layers and the silk from the corn. On an open flame, grill the corn, rotating periodically to get a uniform char all over. You’ll hear popping sounds as the corn gets charred all over. You can also do this on a grill, if you have one fired already.
- Cool the grilled corn for around 5 minutes. Over a bowl, run a sharp knife shear to shuck the grilled corn kernels off the cob.
- Deseed and chop the red bell pepper in 1 cm dice. Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a pan and stir the chopped bell pepper on a high flame for 2-3 minutes.
- To assemble the grilled corn salad, toss the orzo pasta, grilled corn kernels, blanched asparagus, sautéed bell pepper, mint leaves in the extra virgin oil, seasoning with 1/2 tsp salt or as per your liking. Squeeze the lemon and combine to mix well. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
What is your favourite way to use corn, apart from grilling and eating it as it is?Do share!