Vegan Lettuce Wraps with Tofu and Mango
This Vegan Lettuce Wrap stuffed with crisped up marinated tofu, juicy mango cubes and the crunch of roasted peanuts is irresistibly delicious and totally good for you!
Sometimes, a dish hits upon that perfect combination of delicious and healthy. And you cannot wait to blog about it. I felt the same over a year ago. But by the time I made the time to download the photos and share this recipe with you, it was no longer the mango season and it did not feel fair to blog something with lusciously ripe mangoes when they were no longer available.
This is one dish you must serve to someone who hates tofu. I promise you, you'll have a convert right there. I prefer Green Leaf lettuce (because I have it handy in my kitchen garden) but you can use Iceberg as well.
The soy-ginger-honey dressing / marinade is my staple Asian dressing. A vegan version of this dressing can be easily prepared by replacing honey with agave nectar, maple syrup or even jaggery syrup. For a more pronounced flavour, add 1 tsp of sesame oil to this. If you use dried ground ginger, you can prepare a small bottle of this dressing and keep it for anytime use in the refrigerator.
This makes a perfect DIY party appetiser. Pile up the filling in a bowl, keep a stack of lettuce leaves, a bowl of roasted peanuts and the dressing and allow your guests to assemble their wraps. A no-sweat, non-fried party appetiser!
And now, I cannot wait to share this recipe with you, so you can enjoy a completely delicious lettuce wrap while the mangoes are in season.
Vegan Lettuce Wraps
for marinade / dressing
- Wash the lettuce leaves thoroughly and dry them gently by placing in between two kitchen towels. Peel and dice the mango. Peel and finely chop or slice the onion.
- Prepare the marinade by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl. If you are not vegan
- Add the diced tofu to the marinade and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add the sesame seeds. Using a slotted spoon, drain the tofu throughly and add to the oil. Toss the tofu so it is coated by sesame seeds. Ensure the tofu turns golden on all sides. Remove in a plate and keep aside.
- Using a peeler, spiralizer or julienne peeler, shave strands or thin strips of the cucumber, avoiding the seeds. Keep aside.
- In a platter, arrange the lettuce leaves in one layer. Divide the mango, cucumber and onion equally between all the leaves.
- Top with crispy tofu.
- Drizzle the remaining marinade over the wraps just before serving.
If you are not vegan, then use honey instead of maple or jaggery syrup in the soy-ginger marinade.
Gluten free tip: Use tamari instead of soy sauce.
Check out my other lettuce wrap made using pineapple.