Kairi Panha - a green mango drink recipe
Whenever I visit my family in Bombay in summers, I know that I’ll find tubs of homemade ice cream and bottles of homemade raw mango drink aka Panha in my aunt’s fridge.
So, when I popped over yesterday over tea time, we had a good cup of tea prepared by my uncle. Then I stayed over and got some work done over family gossip. It was nearly evening and I asked my aunt if she was going to give me a glass of panha. She said, “I haven't made it yet this season, but I do have one raw mango in the fridge, so we can make it now.” I did think she was joking, because from whatever little I knew, I thought it would take more time than that. I was wrong, because in 20 minutes flat, I was drinking a beer mug full of chilled kairi panha, which is the armour you need to fight these really hot days in Bombay in summer.
This is a super quick pressure cooker version. But you can also char the raw mango on an open flame, then peel off the skin and puree the flesh similarly to get a more intense smokey flavour. I intend to try that the next time.
- Peel and roughly chop the raw mango, discarding the seed and the white skin around the seed.
- In a pressure cooker, place the chopped raw mango with the sugar and 1 cup water. Remove the seeds from the green cardamom and add it to the cooker. Pressure cook for 3 whistles and 5 minutes on sim.
- Once the cooker is cool enough to open, remove this mix into a blender.
- Once the mixture has cooled a bit, blend until you get a fine puree.
- This is your Kairi Panha concentrate.
- To prepare the drink, in a medium sized glass, place 3 ice cubes, fill the glass with 1 part of the raw mango puree and 2 parts water. Add roasted cumin powder, black salt and mix well. Garnish with fresh mint leaves or dried mint powder. Drink immediately.
- You can even use the whole lot to prepare a jug full of kairi panha.
- You can use powdered jaggery instead of sugar for a more rustic flavour.
- This drink also makes a superb base to prepare vodka, white rum or gin based cocktails in summer.
Also try these: