Dinner last night was a very light one in preparation for the inevitable hogging that happens on weekends. Soup with a slice of toasted bread or a light salad makes for a quick lunch or a light dinner on weeknights. If I know I’m going to eat out for one meal, I usually stick to soup for the other meal. Simple maths of balanced eating, if you ask me 🙂
Like most other stuff I post here, this simple mushroom soup too is a quick meal made from a handful of ingredients. The mainstay as the name suggests is mushrooms – with some onions and spinach to add flavour and body to the recipe. If you cook the mushrooms on the stove top with very little water, the resultant ‘sauce’ makes a very good mushroom spinach pasta sauce too. Cool tip eh!
This simple mushroom soup can be made with mushrooms and onions alone, but addition of spinach gives it a vibrant colour and of course, a nutrient boost. Something that we (and kids) can always do with.
Mushroom Spinach Soup in pressure cooker or Instant Pot
A pressure cooker or instant pot makes quick work of this soup. All you need to do is saute the ingredients in olive oil, add water / stock and pressure cook. Once cooled, blend the ingredients to a puree, return to the cooker, simmer and add milk (or alt milk of choice to make it vegan).
Toppings are totally optional, but make it look pretty. A few green leaves, a swirl of cream (vegans can use coconut cream) and some seeds make the soup bowls irresistibly pretty.
My secret ingredient in this simple mushroom soup
My secret ingredient here is a mushroom stock cube which I add to the water in the cooker while pressure cooking. It gives that umami flavour that we love. I use Kalli Organic Mushroom stock cube – available in Foodhall for sure, and possibly other gourmet food stores. But don’t worry if you don’t have this. Using half a regular stock cube also adds a ton of flavour to the soup.
More easy vegetarian mushroom recipes for you
Instant Mushroom Methi Curry with Onion rice (easy dinner)
Simple Mushroom Soup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup onions sliced
- 200 grams button mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 stock cube optional
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker. Sauté the garlic for 30 seconds. Add the onion slices and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Next add in mushroom slices and spinach and stir on high flame till spinach wilts.
- Add 2 cups water to this along with stock cube (if using) and pressure cook* for 5 minutes (keep on sim for 5 min after 1 whistle). Remove and cool. Instant pot: high pressure manual setting for 4-5 minutes, then release steam.
- Blend this to a smooth consistency once cooled.
- Remove to a saucepan, bring to a simmer. Season with salt, pepper and dried oregano.
- Check for salt. Add milk towards the end, bring it to a gentle simmer and transfer to bowls.
- Garnish with a few salad greens, chia seeds, swirl of cream / coconut cream if you like.
Originally published on September 19, 2009. Updated with new photos and text.
Sign up to my newsletter by putting in your email in the box in the home page, to get all latest posts in your email.