The post carries the recipe for a Spinach Lentil Carrot soup that is 5-2 diet friendly for a fast day.
A lot of my regular blog readers are aware that I am a big fan of the 5-2 way of life and have been on it for a couple of years now. It is one of the more scientific, proven ways to lose excess weight, stay healthy and improve general well being. I have written in detail about my journey on the5-2 Diet in this post.
Soups are generally a good way to fill up on fewer calories and we are not talking about the soups hiding dollops of cream or fattened by deep fried croutons. These are plain and simple, unadorned soups, perfect to carry the nutrients offered by the vegetables at a very low calorie count. These soups fit into my fast days perfectly when the calorie allowance is 500 calories for the whole day.
I use the nifty soup maker to prepare them, but you can easily use a pressure cooker or saucepan with lid and blender, if you don’t have a soup maker.
I have been counseling and helping a few people this year on how to make 5-2 way of life happen and be successful at it. Most people are thrilled with the success and how it has enabled them to attain their weight goals.
It is essential that the ingredients for any 5-2 recipe be weighed out to avoid any discrepancies. I recommend an electronic digital weighing scale on the kitchen counter for fast day recipes.
Fast Day Recipe - Spinach Lentil Carrot Soup
- 150 grams spinach leaves raw ,
- 50 grams masoor dal raw ,
- 2 tsps ginger chopped ,
- 35 grams carrot cubes
- 750 ml water
- pepper for seasoning
- Wash and soak the masoor dal in water for 30 minutes.
- Wash and clean the spinach leaves. Chop roughly.
- In a soup maker, add the soaked and drained masoor dal, spinach, carrot, ginger, salt, pepper and water and set to puree mode. Alternatively, pressure cook this with 400 ml water in a small pressure cooker. When cooled, blend with 350 ml water in a blender and bring to a simmer. Serve hot.
- This recipe yields a big batch of soup worth 230 calories and 115 calories per large 500 ml serving