Charred Corn Salsa is a part of the Vegetarian Mexican Recipes series on Saffrontrail.com
In my last post on Refried beans, I promised you lots more Mexican recipes coming your way. Salsas are to Mexican cuisine what chutneys and pickles are to Indian cuisine. They elevate the flavours of every meal with their impeccable character artist roles or even as unforgettable side-kicks to the main dishes.
While tomato salsa is a standard fix, I love this charred corn salsa. You can make these by grilling fresh corn on the cob on an open flame or on a hot grill, and then shear off the charred corn kernels to use in this salsa. If you don’t have access to fresh corn, lightly cook the frozen corn and then in a hot pan, allow them to char a bit and then use in the salsa.
So you want to know what you can you do with this charred corn salsa? There are chips, of course. Be it Nacho chips or oven baked tortilla chips or your regular potato chips, these make a tantalising accompaniment to any kind of chips.
Top traditional ‘tostadas’ with some refried beans, some of this salsa and cheese and you’ve got a groovy appetiser going for your party. What’s better, your guests can assemble this themselves.
Top your Mexican Breakfast, Huevos Rancheros with some of this fiery, flavoursome salsa to take it to another level.
SO get on with this salsa guys, the packet of frozen corn in your freezer is calling out to you!
Charred Corn Salsa - Vegetarian Mexican Recipes
- 1 cup corn Frozen kernels
- 2 Tomato medium
- 1 Onion small
- 2 - 3 Green chillies
- 1/4 cup Coriander leaves
- 4 - 5 Jalapeno slices
- 1 Lemon
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- First cook the frozen corn kernels either by boiling in a saucepan with 1/2 cup water or in a glass bowl, with enough water to cover the kernels for 3 minutes. Remove, drain, wipe well and keep aside.
- Heat a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add the partly cooked corn kernels and allow to char slightly in places. If you add oil at this stage, they might not char.
- Deseed and finely chop the tomato. Finely chop the onion, green chillies, coriander leaves and jalapexf1o slices.
- Put everything in a bowl. Add salt, lemon juice and mix well.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Leave Your Comments