When these 2 ingredient flourless pancakes took the interwebs by the storm, it was easy to be dismissive about them as just another gimmicky, click-baity thing. Or, one of those utterly gorgeous but totally impractical projects that go viral on Pinterest but quite impossible to replicate at home. However, when the stakes are not high, it is easy to be lured into going ahead with the experiment. After all there was nothing much to lose, just half a banana and one egg! Well, you do need some butter or oil to make these pancakes, but I’m not counting that as an ingredient. Call it the food-blogger’s license 😀
Subscribe to Saffron Trail Kitchen on YouTube. Learn quick and easy recipes. New video every Friday!
Like I’ve told you in my earlier posts, my 7 year old son has a perspicacious taste for umm…pancakes! While he is happy to eat pancakes for any meal of the day, he is quickly dismissive of my healthified version made using whole wheat flour asking me if I could please not make the roti-wala pancakes _anymore. So, when I came across these 2 ingredient pancakes, with just egg and banana, I thought, whoa, no _flour. This was too good to be true! But then the recipe was from The Kitchn, a website that I totally love and I do believe that their recipes are well researched and no-fail. Just the way you, my reader has faith in my recipes (cough cough)!
So coming back to these pancakes, they are melt-in-the-mouth soft and lacy. It’s amazing how just two ingredients can come together and make this kind of magic. Using organic eggs with bright golden yolk totally elevates the pancake experience.
If you are a newbie in the kitchen, then go on and add 1 tbsp flour to the batter, especially if you feel worried you may not be able to flip them in one piece. A good non-stick pan and the wide silicon spatula do help a lot in getting perfect pancakes out of this slightly unusual pancake batter. And no prizes for guessing, without the flour, these pancakes are totally gluten free, so if you are on a gluten free diet, nothing in the world can stop you from enjoying these delectable pancakes. Hallelujah!
Recipe adapted from The Kitchn
2 Ingredient Pancakes in less than 10 minutes
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Banana Large ripe
- pinch Cinnamon (optional) powder a
- 1 tsp Butter / ghee oil
- strawberries Sliced or any other fruit
- Maple syrup honey or
- In a medium bowl, mash the banana with a fork until you get a coarse puree.
- Add an egg into this and whisk well until combined. Add cinnamon powder and give it a final whisk.
- Heat a non-stick pan. Rub 2-3 drops of oil with a kitchen paper over this.
- Using a small ladle or a big spoon, make 4 pancakes, around 2 tbsp batter per pancake. These will be around 2.5 inches in diameter. Do not spread or make them any larger as they may be difficult to flip.
- Cook on medium flame and using a wide silicon spatula, gently flip over and cook the other side. Drizzle a few drops of melted ghee or butter around the edges, and they'll be ready in a minute or so.
- Remove the pancakes in a dish, pour honey or maple syrup over them and serve with sliced seasonal fruits.