Recipe for a Christmas Special Vegan Banana Gingerbread
This quick bread or cake is just another way to use up the languishing overripe bananas, albeit with a Christmas makeover 🙂 Trust me on this, the flavours of banana and ginger (plus other spices) go pretty darn well together, in case you were harbouring some doubts on how this vegan banana gingerbread is going to turn out.
This eggless banana gingerbread turns out really moist (despite its ‘veganness’) and the recipe I’m sharing with you makes a small loaf. You can forget about saving this cake because it wont last minutes after it’s out of the oven. This recipe size is perfect for small families, but you can easily double the recipe and bake a full loaf.
Let me update you with a couple of other virtues of this recipe before sharing it with you I’ve made it with powdered organic jaggery, which not only gives it a dark brown colour but also a mellow sweetness, that goes well with the ginger flavour. To completely avoid refined sugar, you can skip the dusting of icing sugar. This small loaf of vegan banana gingerbread uses only 2 tablespoons of oil in its making, so it is also reasonably less calorific than the usual banana breads.
Vegan Banana Gingerbread
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 bananas (medium sized, overripe)
- 1/2 cup jaggery powdered (or use brown sugar)
- 2 tsps ginger ground
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg grated
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- To make this vegan gingerbread, rease a small sized loaf tin (7" x 3" or 6 x 3") with oil or butter. Preheat oven at 180°C.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, powder and salt.
- In another bowl, mash the bananas. Whisk well the oil, jaggery, ground spices until you get a smooth mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients to this and mix well.
- Scrape out the batter into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool the cake in the tin for 10 minutes. Unmould and allow to cool for 30 minutes or more before slicing.
Sign up to my newsletter by putting in your email in the box in the home page, to get all latest posts in your email. No spam. Promise.