Recipe for Lemon Coriander Soup
Soups are a big deal in Indo-Chinese cuisine. The names listed on most menu cards of Indo-Chinese restaurants are sure to elicit a few laughs, thanks to their sheer entertainment quotient. Manchow Soup, Mein Chow Soup, Main Chow Soup, Manchou Soup – I have spent many a quiet moment pondering on the real spelling and pronunciation of Manchow soup. Not really, but you get my point, right?
Now given that big food brands are using the word Manchow on their products, I suppose that is the spelling to be taken seriously. Since the Indo-Chinese cuisine is entirely homegrown, there are no set spellings or pronunciations. You cook it, you set the rules, like the little Chinese food cart on an Indian street in the pic above. They make the food in front of you, fast furious and fresh and surely that counts for something
Lemon-Coriander soup is another popular item listed in most Indo-Chinese menus. I like to think of it like a clear soup or a broth, perfect to sip on without killing your appetite for the main course, like it often happens with a big bowl of Mein Chow Manchow soup thickened with cornflour and topped with fried noodles. Do take some time out to make a vegetable stock, it makes all the difference to the flavour. I have written about a pressure cooker method to make a vegetable stock, that takes very little time as compared to the original simmer for an hour method, you can try that. There is no soya sauce, chili sauce or vinegar to call this an Indo-Chinese soup but given that it features in most such menus, I am including this as a part of our #thekitchendivas Indo-Chinese recipe series this month
This soup has the delicate flavours from the stock and the vegetables. The carrot and squash give it a mild sweetness that balanced the lemon and the chili perfectly. Surely, something comforting to whet your appetite in the winters and a healthy dish to add to your repertoire for the other times of the year
Healthy Indo-Chinese Soup | Lemon Coriander Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Recipe for Lemon Coriander Soup | Indo-Chinese Recipes
- 600 ml vegetable stock (unsalted)
- 1/4 cup Kabocha Squash squash pumpkin finely diced or any other /
- 1/4 cup carrot finely diced (use red variety when in season)
- 1/4 cup beans finely diced French
- 3 cloves garlic fat , finely minced
- 1 green chili , finely minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup coriander finely chopped fresh
- 1 lemon big Juice of
- To make in Philips Soupmaker :Put all the ingredients except coriander and lemon into the jar. Turn on the CHUNKY soup option.In 20 minutes, the soup will be ready. Pour into a serving bowl, add the chopped coriander and lemon juice. Mix well and it is ready to serve.
- To make on stove top: Saute the garlic and vegetables in 1 tsp cooking oil for 1 minute or so. Add the stock, salt and cover and cook for 20 minutes or so, until the veggies are cooked. Remove into a bowl, mix in the coriander and lemon juice and serve hot.