The Ukrainian Honey cake is just your kind of bake if you like something low fat and high in flavour. This is an eggless version made using whole wheat flour.
While the Ukrainian Honey Cake sounds all kinds of exotic, the ingredients can be easily sourced in our kitchens. Addition of ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg make it the perfect slice to have with your morning cuppa tea and the addition of coffee gives it a depth of flavour. I substituted the two eggs in the original recipe with yogurt and the results were quite good. The icing with honey, sugar and lemon juice gives it that extra kick – making it perfect for your tea party.
More spiced baking recipes
Ukrainian Honey Cake
- 1 1/2 cups atta (whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 tbsps yogurt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup coffee strong (1 tbsp instant powder dissolved in 1/2 cup hot water)
- 2 Tbsps vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar powdered
- 2 Tbsps lemon juice
- 2 Tbsps honey
- Preheat oven to 175 C / 350F.
- To prepare Ukrainian honey cake, seive the flour, baking soda, baking powder, spice powders, and salt together into a large bowl.
- In another large bowl, whisk together yogurt, sugar, honey, coffee and oil. Add the dry ingredients and whisk till combined.
- Pour into a greased 8" round pan and bake in the preheated for around 30min, until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool a few minutes and unmould.
- In a small bowl, whisk the ingredients for icing well until you get a smooth pourable liquid and drizzle over cake before slicing.