Does the world really need another banana bread recipe?
With a ton of banana bread recipes on the blog, okay make that half a dozen, I had decided a while ago not to post any more banana bread recipes on the blog.
Remember those home grown bananas? Finally, the last batch did turn into an overripe lot, and what better way to put them to good use! Since I was baking these for a weekend treat, I added some chocochips and some Nesquick mix to make banana bread in the kid’s favourite flavour, chocolate. Yay, how unique! 😉
He has turned into quite the fussy eater these days. I’m yet to figure out the reason for this.
Possibly, being a 6 year old hurtling towards being a 7 year old means he has to express his own wishes more often and make sure he gets them. This is an ongoing battle and a whole lot can be written on this, but we shall get back to the cake on hand.
This is a one bowl cake, if you don’t count the mixer that is. It does help if you blend the ingredients in a mixer or a blender, especially the oil, yogurt and bananas – saves some time in whisking them to a fine puree. Otherwise, mix it all, scrape it into a loaf tin. Bask in the glorious aromas for the next 40 minutes.
Get a chopping board, a knife and some plates ready, keep your coffee to brew, and enjoy your 4PM with a thick slice of this delicious banana and chocolate cake.
BANANA CHOCOLATE BREAD (has egg)
Recipe for a Fun Banana Chocolate Bread
- 5 cups banana bananas ripe puree OR s ) 6 small
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup yogurt whisked
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1.5 tsps baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsps chocolate or Nesquick or chocolate drinking malted drink mix
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Grease and line the loaf tin.
- Preheat the oven at 180xb0C.
- In a blender or mixer, blend the bananas, oil, milk, egg, yogurt, vanilla extract and sugar to a fine puree.
- Scrape it out into a large bowl.
- Sieve all the dry ingredients into this bowl (all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, drinking chocolate).
- Gently mix in the vinegar and chocolate chips until well incorporated and scrape this batter into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 40 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Unmold the loaf and cool for further 15 minutes before slicing with a serrated knife.