Recipe for an easy Naan Pizza that you can prepare as an after school snack for kids or even a quick weeknight dinner + a recipe for instant pizza sauce!
Naan Pizza has caught the fancy of pizza lovers around the world and rightfully so. Naan or the thick Indian flatbread makes a practical option for a pizza base. Naan is easily available in the frozen section of supermarkets in most cities around the world these days, as Indian cuisine gains more popularity. Pizza connoisseurs may scoff at this Naan Pizza business, but for us home cooks, it is indeed the quickest way to make a pizza for an after school snack or a weeknight dinner.
For a really thin crust pizza, try this recipe with any leftover phulkas. I cannot see why your kids (or you) wont love it as much!
How to make a Naan Pizza
- Use a store bought fresh or frozen naan, or homemade naan. If using frozen naan, no need to thaw. You can proceed with the recipe as it is.
- Smear some olive oil. Spread a layer of pizza sauce over the naan and then top with grated cheese.
- Scatter your favourite toppings and bake for 5-7 minutes until the cheese melts and the naan is golden brown around the edges.
As this is a quick recipe, I make this almost instant pizza sauce by combining tomato paste, extra virgin olive oil, a pinch of salt, pinch of garlic powder (this is optional) and a fat pinch of mixed Italian herbs. The tomato paste gives it a rich tomato flavour as though you have slaved over this sauce for a better part of the day. The extra virgin olive oil thins down the paste while keeping the pizza base from becoming soggy, not to mention extra flavour. The herbs, garlic and salt add one layer of seasoning to your pizza.
I agree that the words ‘caramelised onions’ and ‘quick’ can never belong in the same sentence, but because everything in this pizza is of the instant kinds, this one adds interest and a touch of gourmet to your pizza. By all means, add thinly sliced onions or plain sautéed onions if you are running short of time. You can also replace this with any other pizza topping.
I’ve used Mother Dairy Cheese cubes in this Naan Pizza. In terms of nutrition, one cube of Mother Dairy cheese is equivalent to 125 ml of milk. It has just the right degree of saltiness and a soft texture lends itself well to be used in a variety of dishes. Grate over pizzas and pasta dishes or skewer smaller pieces of the cubes with seasonal fruits like pineapple and grapes to make an instant healthy snack.
If you follow me on Instagram, you would have seen my announcements of the Insta Cooking Class in collaboration with Mother Dairy Cheese. This is the second recipe as a part of the collaboration which I did on the Mother Dairy Instagram account – check the Instagram story compiled into a video here.
So here’s the recipe for super easy Naan Pizzas topped with an instant pizza sauce, caramelised onions, black olives and of course Mother Dairy Cheese.
Naan Pizza with Caramelised Onions and Black Olives
- 1 garlic naan or plain naan
- 1 tbsp instant pizza sauce
- 2 Mother Dairy cheese cubes
- 2-3 tbsp caramelised onions
- 1 tbsp sliced black olives
- leaves fresh rocketor basil
- 1-2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven or air fryer at 190°C.
- Brush naan with olive oil.
- Smear pizza sauce evenly over the naan.
- Grate the Mother Dairy cheese cubes and sprinkle grated cheese uniformly.
- Top with caramelised onions and sliced black olives.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes until cheese melts.
- Sprinkle some fresh rocket leaves, garnish with extra virgin olive oil and cut into wedges and serve hot.
- Before grating cheese cubes, keeping them in the freezer for around 30 minutes makes them easy to grate.
- Lightly oil the grater before grating cheese, so that the cheese does not stick to the grater.
This post was brought to you in collaboration with Mother Dairy Cheese #EatCheeseRepeat
Disclosure: This post has affiliate links and Saffron Trail will earn a small commission if you purchase the product from these links, which helps support the blog.