Recipe for Lasooni Dal Palak: Garlicky lentils with Spinach
This recipe for Lasooni Dal Palak was published in one of the Sunday papers and I knew I had to try it right away. It turned out be delicious, just like the dals you get at fancy Indian restaurants. After all, this is a recipe from one 🙂 Although I do have other dal recipes like the Methi Dal or the Mixed Lentil Dal Fry, this Lasooni Dal Palak is my favourite pick me up with a hot bowl of Jeera rice or some buttered rotis!
If you’re skeptical about the garlic in this, the garlicky smell in this is just the right amount without overpowering the Dal, so go ahead and enjoy it without worry!
Lasooni Dal Palak ( Garlicky lentils with spinach )
- 1/2 cup Tur dal -
- 1/3 cup Moong dal -
- 1 bunch spinach fresh - washed - chopped roughly -
- 1 tbsp garlic finely chopped -
- 1 onion small - finely chopped -
- 1 tomato medium sized - finely chopped -
- 1/2 tsp ginger finely chopped -
- 3 green chillies finely chopped -
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera) -
- 1/4 tsp turmeric -
- 1 tsp red chilli powder -
- 1 tbsp ghee (or oil) -
- to taste Salt
- Pressure cook ( or boil ) the dals till soft with half the green chillies and turmeric.
- In a pan, heat ghee. Add the cumin seeds, once they start popping, add garlic, ginger, remaining green chillies and onions.Fry till onions turn golden brown. Add tomato, spinach, turmeric, red chilli powder, salt. Saute the above mixture till it turns soft and golden.
- Add the boiled dal mix to the above. Mix well, remove from flame. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with phulka rotis or Parathas or steamed rice.