Irish Grilled Cheese Sandwich
This Irish Grilled Cheese Sandwich may easily be the best grilled cheese sandwich I have sunk my teeth into. And when you try it (which I'm sure you will), I know you will have this same feeling :D
You might wonder, why an Irish Grilled Cheese? Is the great Mumbai style chutney sandwich not good enough? My dear travel blogger friend, Lakshmi Sharath, was off to Ireland yesterday and I was trying to vicariously live her trip by finding out about the food of Ireland. Of course, excluding Guinness, which we all know only too well 😝 After Guinness, every foodie worth their salt, knows of the Irish Soda Bread, which is an instant bread made using baking soda. And who doesn't know the world-famous Irish coffee, especially if you've lived in Bombay and frequented the Prithvi cafe!
In my search, I found a few interesting recipes like a potato salad called Colcannon, quite a few stews and then.....this Grilled Cheese, which I had one look and sparks flew! It of course helped that I had fresh parsley, chives and spring onions growing in my kitchen garden. Even if you don't have access to these fresh herbs, use what you have, and use some in dried form, and it still wont disappoint. I CAN TELL!
So, finely chopped herbs mixed into soft butter, spread out on slices of bread (prepare your own Irish Soda Bread and then use that if you're feeling particularly gourmet). Slap on a cheese slice, top with sliced pickles, toast on a tava / skillet with a little butter until crisp and golden brown. And then comes the most delicious part....for that jump over to the recipe and try it out ASAP! I promise you, it will be love at first bite.
Recipe for this Irish Grilled Cheese sandwich adapted from FoodNetwork
- Lay out the slices of bread on a chopping board.
- In a small bowl, mix in the finely chopped parsley, chives and spring onion greens. Remove 2 tsp of this herb mix and keep aside. Mix the leftover herbs in the bowl with the butter.
- Spread this butter uniformly on all slices.
- Place a cheese slice on two of the slices.
- Top with sliced pickled gherkins. Cover with the other buttered slice.
- Heat a skillet / tava. Lightly butter one side of the sandwich and place it on the hot tava buttered side down. On a medium heat, let this side turn crisp and golden brown. Meanwhile, apply a little butter on the top side of the sandwich and turn it over so this side also gets golden brown.
- Cut into two triangles. Apply a little cheese spread over the cut side and dip it into the finely chopped fresh herbs kept aside, so the edge gets a lovely green coat of herbs. Serve hot with some pickles on the side or tomato ketchup.
This combination of herbs, the saltiness from the butter and the crunch from toasting the sandwich on the skillet AND the 'icing' on the sandwich being the herb coating on the sides, just makes this an irresistible sandwich and a stunning one at that. Surprise your kid with this beauty in his/her lunch box or as a part of your tea-party menu for friends. They'll remember this one for a long time to come!