Date Cashewnut Payasam ready in ten minutes
Do you remember the dates stuffed with a cashew in the Diwali gift boxes of yester-years? This payasam is something like that. Something I came up with on spur of the moment to prepare for my baby's 9th month birthday today. Tough to believe that something this simple and quick can taste so good.
Makes 4 servings (small cups)
Time taken - Around 10 minutes
- Keep the milk to boil in a heavy bottomed pan, and then let it simmer for 5 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile place the dates and cashews in a glass bowl with 1/2 cup water and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes till the dates are tender. Once cooled, grind this to a fine (or coarse, if you like) paste.
- Add the cornstarch slurry to the milk and bring it to a boil. Then add the date-cashew paste, sugar and saffron. Let the mix simmer for 3-5 minutes and the payasam is ready.
- I don't usually add cornstarch to desserts, but I wasn't sure if the date paste would curdle the milk, while bringing it to a boil, hence the precaution.
- Garnish with the cashews and raisins toasted in ghee.
- This tastes good both warm and cold.