Coming up next- is something I made for Meeta’s _Monthly Mingle _. Well, there’s nothing much happening in India on the football front with the exception of Kolkata -where the 3 chief interests are Phood, Phish and Phootball (meaning food, fish and football) Kindly note that Phood and Phish are listed separately.
I haven’t decided which team to cheer. So, it’s easier to just take sides with the team that wins in the end and I shall be celebrating, with the Orange Rum Cake.
This is Tarla Dalal’s recipe and i have tinkered with it a little!
Orange Rum Cake for the Monthly Mingle
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter *
- 1/2 cup sugar splenda or (recipe uses 8 sacets of substitute)
- 1/4 cup orange juice freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (made from 2 1/2 tsp low fat curd )
- 1 tsp orange rind
- 3 tbsps rum
- Pre heat the oven at 400 F/ 200C. Grease a 5" baking tin and keep aside.
- Sieve the wheat flour and baking powder together and keep aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar / sugar substitute together in a bowl (mix them together until soft).
- Add the orange juice, buttermik, rind, rum and what flour mixture. Mix well.
- Pour batter into greased tin.
- Bake for 20-25 min at 400 F / 250 C until a tester comes out clean.
- Cut into 6 wedges.
- Serve as a dessert with a shot of rum.