I’m not a fan of Oreo cookies at all. I once even tweeted that they taste like sweetened cardboard and I found a lot of people agreeing with my sentiment. For me, the best cream biscuit will always be Britannia Bourbon. It was my favourite treat as a kid, we waited for someone to get it home as it was never a frequent buy. Now, I have all the freedom to eat Bourbon biscuits with tea every afternoon, but my diet consciousness prevents me from doing so.
But yes, once in a while, I love to indulge in the joy of eating my favourite biscuit. OOPS, I nearly forgot that this post is about Oreo Brownies. These brownies actually redeem the Oreo cookie for me. The catchy ad line in Hindi “Twist Karo, Lick karo, Dunk Karo” has suitably appealed to my 4 year old, who thinks of Oreo has a great treat (thankfully, treat only). So I decided to bake these for his birthday party, both for the parents and kids. I baked them a couple of days in advance and put them in the out of reach refrigerator so it wouldn’t get raided well before the party 🙂 And they were MUCH loved by everybody.
The Oreo patterns on top of the brownie not only make them look stunning, different, but also add a great texture when you bite into them. Let me tell you a secret, the cookies are both inside and on top of the brownie. Inside they become soft and chewy and on the top they turn crisp.
Try them with your favourite chocolate cream biscuits – Dark Fantasy or Bourbon for the same effect. These are not ‘healthy’ brownies. Insanely rich, wicked, FULL of chocolate, very little flour – these are meant to be shared with a crowd. The recipe says 16 pieces, but feel free to cut each square further into half. It’s that decadent. If you are home alone on a weekend, feeling blue in the mood and you bake a whole tray of this – you are not going to stop at one, and then you’ll blame ‘that Saffron Trail blogger’ for busting your weighing scales. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!
Recipe for Oreo Brownies
Makes 16 x 2″square pieces
You’ll need:8″ square baking pan
Oreo Brownies - It doesn't get more sinful than this
- 65 grams unsalted butter
- 200 grams dark chocolate (chopped finely)
- 4 eggs
- 16 quarters Oreo cookies , cut into
- 3/4 cup brown sugar light
- 3 tbsps flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Pinch salt of (omit if using ed butter)
- Line a 8x8 square pan with parchment paper, coming up to the sides, for easy removal once baked. Grease with butter, keep aside.
- Preheat oven at 180 Celsius.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, melt butter on a low heat. Once nearly melted, remove from flame. It will melt fully in the residual heat. Add the finely chopped chocolate to this and stir till the chocolate fully melts in the heat of the melted butter. Keep aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the 4 eggs with a balloon whisk or electric whisk until nearly tripled in volume.
- Add half the sugar along the sides so as not to knock out the air from the eggs. Whisk gently until incorporated. Repeat the same with remaining sugar until the sugar no longer feels grainy to touch in the egg mixture.
- Add the chocolate-butter mixture to this. Whisk gently to combine well.
- Add 1/3rd of the quartered Oreos to the batter.
- In a small bowl, mix with a fork- the flour, cocoa and salt and add this to the above mixture. Whisk well to combine everything together.
- Pour this into the greased parchment.
- Top this with the remaining Oreos arranged in a single layer all over.
- Bake in the middle of a 180 C oven for 40 minutes, until a tester poked into the center comes out nearly clean.
- Remove from oven and rest for 10 minutes. Pull out with the parchment intact and cool on a wire rack for 2-3 hours or overnight. Cut into 2" squares (16 pieces) and peel off parchment. Refrigerate for a few hours for a great texture.
Note to self : Dear Nandita, Ditch the diet plans. Make these with Bourbon biscuits for your birthday!Feedback from those who tried this recipe:
Oreo brownies just out of the oven. Thanks for the inspiration and the recipe @saffrontrailtwitter.com/livetimefe/sta…5x7 (@livetimefe) December 24, 2012
The sinfully delicious Oreo Brownies. Thanks @saffrontrail for the recipe 🙂 twitpic.com/cr37znParavaMunima (@Muneema) May 17, 2013 (c) Nandita Iyer 2006-2015
I just made a batch of brownies yesterday. But I also got a big boxof Oreos as a X’mas gift… maybe I will try 🙂
Love the Oreo brownies
Awesome!!! Drooling with all the chocolatey stuff..need to try it soon…and thankfully no diet plans for me..will try the bourbon version too!!
The guys in my house would totally love this!
Looks very tempting Nandita..My boys love Oreo, so I am sure they would love this..
Today I made these brownies……they r just awesome…
Thank you for this great recipe. I too wanna try this but I have a microwave not oven, can I still make oreo brownies?? If yes wat is the temperature I use and instructions?? Please help??