a recipe for a strawberry cheesecake made with all Indian ingredients
The inspiration came from the Good Food show on NDTV news channel. I had done a very long post on this a while ago, and lost the whole of it due to some parallel sign in -sign out activity on gmail. It is indeed difficult to recapture all that I’d written, but in case some instructions aren’t clear, please write in your queries and I shall be happy to respond!
I must give 100% credit to a recipe I saw on the Good Food show some weeks ago. With frozen strawberries sitting in my fridge, all I needed was to work on getting the hung yogurt and I could start of on making my dream cheesecake. If I had to put in more descriptors, I’d say – No springform pan, no Graham crackers, no cream cheese, no water bath, no baking and hey, NO JOKING! 😛
Strawberry cheesecake with Indian ingredients
Makes a 750 gm cake
No-Bake Easy Strawberry Cheesecake
- 200 gm Marie biscuits ParleG plus Digestive
- 3 tbsps butter melted
- 250 gm strawberries frozen (do not thaw)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup hung curd
- 1 cup cream
- 1 tbsp gelatin
- 4 tbsps water
- 2 - 3 tbsps Strawberry berry jam or any other for topping
Other equipment cake tin 8-9"
- In a food processor, pulse the biscuits into coarse powder and mix in the melted butter well into it.Take a cake tin 8-9" diameter, line it with a large sheet of cling film big enough to cover the sides and come well out of the brim.
Put in the biscuit-butter mix into the pan lined with film. Spread evenly and press well with heavy object such as mortar. Put in the freezer for 20 min or so to set.
Puree the frozen strawberries and sugar together in a mixer to get a sorbet kind of mixture. Remove into a large bowl and keep aside.
Add the hung curd and cream, blend well to make a smooth mixture. Pour it into the bowl containing strawberry sorbet, mix them well with a wooden spoon.
- Add 4 tbsp of water in the gelatin in a small heat resistant cup. Using a pair of tongs, hold the cup on the surface of water boiling in a pan. Stir the gelatin mix with a spoon continuously to get a clear liquid.
- Pour the gelatin mix slowly into the strawberry mixture, stirring continuously.
- Remove the set crust from the freezer and pour the strawberry mixture onto the set biscuit base.
- Cover and put in the fridge to set overnight.
Top with a thin layer of jam or sliced fresh strawberries, cut into wedges and serve cold.