Crustless Chard Quiche
There’s something wonderful about quiches, they fit perfectly as a meal for any time of the day – be it breakfast, lunch or dinner.
The only thing that probably deters people from making this is the mess (well, a little) of making and blind baking the crust and the quantity of butter that goes into it and the thought of burning all that butter off the next day on the treadmill.
Well, may be that’s just me but yes, if the crust is eliminated, the quiche becomes healthy, quick while still tasting delicious. It’s also a great way to use up spinach, mushrooms, corn and bits of any cheese you may have in the refrigerator.
Freshly plucked swiss chard
I used chard because they were just plucked that evening, all fresh and luscious green, you could by all means use spinach, or a combination of other greens and add any other lightly sautéed vegetables like zucchini or bell peppers to this.
A spinach quiche is also the best way to make kids eat their greens up without much fuss.
Recipe for Crustless chard quiche
Adapted from a recipe on Food.com
Crustless Quiche using homegrown Swiss Chard
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 cups chard spinach roughly chopped (include tender stalks too) or
- 1 onion medium , sliced
- 1 clove garlic , finely chopped
- 3 eggs medium sized
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup bread fresh crumbs
- 1/2 cup cheese
- cheese mozzarella grated or crumbled , as per the used . I used fresh , crumbled
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper ground
- Preheat oven at 180C. Grease a 6" pie dish or a baking tin.
- In a pan, heat olive oil. Add the sliced onions and garlic, lightly saute for 3-4 minutes on medium flame, until onions are soft.
- Add the chard or spinach and saute for 2-3 minutes until just wilted.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, herbs well and add the crumbled cheese.
- Transfer the chard mix from the pan into the bowl and mix with a fork.
- Pour into the greased pie dish. Top with bread crumbs, more freshly ground black pepper and dried herbs and bake for 20-25 minutes until a knife comes out clean.