This month Latha is hosting WBB with combi breakfasts as the theme. Thanks to the enthusiasm and dedication of my fellow bloggers who have kept the event going despite my prolonged absence from the blogging scene. If Latha is ok with a salad in a sandwich as a combi thing, then this is my entry for her.
31st Aug is the last date for sending her entries.
Sorry about the break that just kept getting longer and longer. This is an attempt to stick to my promise of getting back before the month of August ends and it is about a refreshing inspiring breakfast I had this morning.
Alfalfa sprouts are one the most delicate sprouts you will find in a supermarket. I don’t usually find them in mine, so when I do find them, I like to bring them home. These are nutritional powerhouses belonging to the pea family. More info here. In short they are very rich in most vitamins, protein and calcium and is a commonly used tonic in homeopathic medicine.
I usually saute them for a few seconds on high heat to kill any bacteria that could be harbouring as a result of water used for sprouting and this reduces their volume considerably.
Although I have stuffed the salad in a sandwich for a hearty breakfast, you can eat the salad as it is along with a soup for a light lunch, or serve it as one of the courses for a dinner party.
Carrot – Alfalfa Sprouts Salad
Time taken – around 15 min
Serves 2 or enough stuffing for 4 sandwiches
Carrot - Alfalfa Sprouts salad sandwich
- 2 carrots medium , scraped and shaved / grated
- 1 clove garlic , smashed and minced
- 1 tsp olive oil sunflower /
- 1/4 tsp salt
- black pepper freshly ground
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar more
- basil few fresh leaves , torn
- optional raisins walnuts nuts extra : / / candied
- In a non stick pan, heat the oil. Saute the garlic for a few seconds.
- Add the sprouts and saute on high heat for 10-20 seconds.
- Toss the grated / shaved carrots in the pan and remove the contents into a bowl.
- Let this cool for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, balsamic vinegar.
- Toss in the torn basil and nuts if using.
- Refrigerate if serving as salad.