Moroccan Chickpea stew
Update: Starting this post, I will try and list the places where you can procure ingredients that feature in the recipe, if it is not a regular pantry item. Since I am currently located in Hyderabad, I will be featuring places from this city, and the areas I am familiar with. Readers are welcome to
- 1/2 cup chickpeas dried
- 2 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil , plus more for garnish
- 1 onion large , thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic , crushed roughly
- 1 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1 tsp cumin ground
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped
- 3 cups 2 3 cups water Maggie Vegetable stock plus cubes Super seasoning or
- black pepper Freshly ground
Drain the chickpeas - cover with 2 cups water and pressure cook for 10 minutes, till soft but not mushy. Keep aside.
In a heavy bottomed pan, heat the oil. Saute the onion and garlic on a low flame till soft and cooked, around 7-8 minutes.
Add the spice powders, chopped tomatoes, boiled chickpeas with water and seasoning cubes.
Taste before adding salt as the seasoning cubes contain salt.
Simmer for 7-8 minutes on low flame for the chickpeas to absorb the flavours and the tomatoes to cook.
Add the roughly chopped greens. These will wilt in a couple of minutes.
Grind some black pepper on the top and serve hot / warm with bread or couscous.
For directions on How to Prepare Couscous, check my post on Couscous with roasted Vegetables.
**Places to buy couscous in Hyderabad**
Places to buy gourmet breads in Hyderabad
- SPAR - Begumpet
- QMart - Road 2, Banjara Hills
- Hypercity - Inorbit Mall, Cyberabad
- Deli 9, various outlets
- Sweet Nirvana Patisserie, Madhapur
- Beyond Coffee, Road 36 Jubilee Hills