The most delicious way to use leftover rice – recipe for Rice Patties with step by step photos
Leftover rice is most common in kitchens where rice is a predominant part of the diet such as South Indian and most of South East Asian cooking. It is difficult to exactly estimate the rice that will be consumed by the family on most days, let alone guests. But that’s no problem at all. Because leftover rice can be put to use in the most delicious ways.
A whole book can be written on recipes to make with leftover rice.
Some ideas on what to do with leftover rice
- You can make delicious curd rice the next morning, or phodni bhaath– i.e tempered rice, very popular in Marathi homes.
- Add some veggies and sauces and have fried rice ready. I usually use up leftover rice to make this Indo Chinese Egg Fried Rice!
- The Italian appetiser arancini are stuffed rice balls, coated in breadcrumbs and deep fried until crisp. An oozy mozzarella centre inside these rice balls makes them quite irresistible.
So what’s the recipe with leftover rice here? Slightly mushy leftover rice is mixed with some chickpea flour, grated veggies (in this case, carrot and green papaya), spiced up with green chillies, flavoured with coriander and brought together. Pinch off two bite sized pieces and shape into croquettes.
Put these in the refrigerator for a while and then shallow fry using as little (or more) oil as you like.
Serve with a green chutney or ketchup for a lip smacking tea time snack. These leftover rice croquettes are both vegan and gluten free.
This same mixture can also be patted into a thinner pancake and cooked until golden brown on both sides – similar to a Gujarati Rice Thepla.
Rice Croquettes with leftover rice
- 1 cup cooked rice* leftover, slightly overcooked
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup grated green papaya or use zucchini
- 1 - 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour besan
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil cold pressed
To prepare the rice croquettes using leftover rice, mix all the above ingredients (except oil) in a bowl. The mixture should not be too soft, or else the patties wont retain their shape. If needed squeeze out excess water from grated veggies and then add to the mixture.
Bind into a smooth ball.
Divide into 8 pieces and shape each into oval / rounds. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Pour 1 tbsp oil in a non stick pan and once oil is hot, place the shaped croquettes and fry on a medium flame for 6-8 minutes per side until both sides are crisp and golden brown.
- Serve with chutney / tomato ketchup.
Originally published on March 25, 2006. Updated with new photos and text.
Sign up to my newsletter by putting in your email in the box in the home page, to get all latest posts in your email. No spam. Promise.