There are times when I’m already hungry and then I start cooking. Result – a dish comes together in under 10 minutes. Ideally I’d pressure cook / boil the tomatoes, peel them and puree them to be made into a soup. But there is a time lag between the boiling and pureeing because I have to wait for the tomatoes to cool off. Unless ofcourse I want a red spray paint on my kitchen walls.
I took the reverse route here. Puree whole tomatoes, skin and all with a few cloves of garlic. And then turn it into soup.
Cooked tomatoes are high on lycopene and lycopene is good for you. It helps in preventing various cancers especially of the colon and prostate. More about lycopene – here.
Instant tomato soup
Time taken – Under 10 minutes
Category – Soups, Low fat food, No-prep food
Makes one large bowl of soup
Instant tomato soup (not from the packet)
- 3 tomatoes medium sized - roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cornflour
- basil Few leaves - torn
- to taste Salt
- Pinch sugar of
- Pinch cumin of powder
- black pepper Freshly ground
- Place the tomatoes and garlic in a blender and make a fine puree.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, throw in the cumin powder and the puree. Bring to a boil. Add the seasonings.
- Dissolve the cornflour in 1/2 cup water. Add to the pan and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Take it off the heat. Serve into a bowl and garnish with freshly torn basil leaves.
- Keep a crusty bread on the side for dipping in. (The no-knead sourdought that I baked was the perfect accompaniment to this one.).
- The flavours are fresh and yummy. This is one of the best meals you can make in under 10 minutes. A bowl of soup with a slice of bread and a fruit is a perfect light lunch.