Vegetarian Pumpkin Recipes – a collection of 21 savoury and sweet for you to try when pumpkins are in season.
Breakfast Pumpkin Recipes
Saving some pumpkin puree in the fridge can lead to some interesting breakfast options with a serving of this healthy vegetable.
Soups, Stews, Curries and Sides with Pumpkin
4. Roasted Pumpkin Soup with flavours of Lemongrass and Ginger – this pumpkin soup recipe combines the mild pumpkin flavour with bold flavours of ginger and lemongrass, gets a whole new personality – this soup is so fall ready!
5. Sweet Sour Spicy Pumpkin Soup – Pumpkin Chaaru, a South Indian pumpkin recipe, where tamarind, spice powder and a bit of sweetness from jaggery come together to make a mouthwatering soup. You can sip this as it is, or mix some chaaru with rice and slurp from a bowl.
6. Pumpkin, Lentils and Spring Onion Soup– this pumpkin soup is just what the doctor ordered to keep you warm on cold evenings, keep the bread handy!
8. Stew of Pumpkin, Lentils and Sweet Potato – a winter special pumpkin recipe for you, this one pot filling and healthy dish perfect for dinner
9. Pumpkin Raita – or a South Indian style pumpkin and yogurt dish, makes an excellent vegetarian side dish or as an addition to a simple Indian menu.
Pumpkin in Main course Vegetarian Dishes
Lots of Indian main course dishes make use of pumpkin in curries, sambar, dal and so on. Get creative by using it in combination with tofu as in the pumpkin tofu rice.
10. Punjabi style sweet and sour Pumpkin Subzi – Kaddu ki subzi, popular in Punjabi homes, pairs best with puris or deep fried Indian bread.
11. Vegetarian Parsi Dhansakh– this curry is a mix of lentils, vegetables and freshly ground spices, goes best with rice
12. Marinated Tofu and Pumpkin Rice – great to carry in a lunchbox or as an Asian main course dish for a quick dinner
Pumpkin in Bakes and Sweets
Pumpkin lends its natural sweetness to baked goods. It also gives a softer texture to the end product, with lesser use of fat, making it a good choice in healthy baking recipes.
14. Chai Spiced Pumpkin Mini Bundt Cakes – a guilt free cake, low in fat, turns out super moist thanks to pumpkin puree.
15. Pumpkin Coffee Cake – a simple tea cake perfect as an accompaniment to tea or coffee
16. Healthy Pumpkin Oats Coconut Squares – combines all good things in one slice- desiccated coconut, oats, pumpkin puree – suitable for breakfast on the go.
17. Pumpkin and Date Cake – full of healthy goodness from pumpkin and dates, a good option for a lunchbox treat or a morning coffee accompaniment
18. Marbled Pumpkin Cake – This double colour cake is sure to delight kids and adults alike!
20. Pumpkin and Carrot Halwa – a delicious Indian dessert, fitting finale to an Indian meal
Do try out these pumpkin recipes while they are in season and enjoy the health benefits of this versatile vegetable!
[originally published on Oct 11, 2015]