Vegetable Poha - Aval Upma
Vegetable poha | Poha upma with vegetables | Aval Upma with vegetables
My love for poha is only slightly less than my love for my kid. No kidding! I can have poha for breakfast, lunch
Aval upma is another very simple dish prepared for tiffin in Tamil homes. A generous pinch of asafoetida in the tempering along with mustard seeds and udad dal, plus the usual suspects- dried red chillies, curry leaves in which the soaked aval (poha) is added, tossed and garnished with coconut. There are no vegetables added to this, so it gets ready in around 5 minutes.
Come summer and I crave for cucumber, watermelon, yogurt, mint and all other summery foods, no matter what I am eating. Adding some fresh cucumber to this vegetable poha gave it a complete fresh twist and I urge you to try it out this summer. I promise you will be making this more often that I will be.
In fact, try making a salad using soaked and drained poha with finely chopped tomatoes, onions, cucumber, pomegranate and sprouts - garnished with coconut, coriander and lemon juice. This tastes SO good, you have to taste it to believe it. A no-cook breakfast recipe right here for you!
So coming to the vegetable poha recipe, saute your favourite vegetables in some oil, toss in the poha, add a healthy dose of raw veggies and you get your summer special poha recipe.
Calories per serving of Vegetable Poha / Aval Upma
Vegetable Poha - Summer Special
- Wash the poha in water 2-3 times. Drain water and keep aside covered for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the onion. Peel and finely dice the potato. Finely dice the bell peppers. Dice the cucumber (no need to peel).
- Mix 1/2 tsp salt, lemon juice, grated coconut and half the grated carrot to the poha. Toss gently and keep aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat the oil. Add the asafoetida, mustard seeds. Once the seeds pop, add the green chillies broken into two. Stir for a few seconds.
- Add all the finely chopped vegetables, half the grated carrot, 1/2 tsp salt and stir well to combine. Cover and cook for 7-8 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked.
- Add the poha mixture to this. Toss well until everything is combined. Switch off the flame.
- Add the remaining grated carrot, diced cucumber, toss gently and serve immediately with wedges of lemon.