Sesame Peanut Rice Noodles / Sevai - Breakfast in 5 minutes
Hot breakfast in 5 minutes, and it's not cereal or toast or a fried egg! Or a smoothie for that matter. It's this amazing thing called 'dhideer sevai' or instant rice noodles which you absolutely must stock in your kitchen. Unlike Maggi or any other 2 minute noodles, you don't have to cook them.
Immerse them for 2 minutes in hot water, drain and they are ready. These are the REAL 2 minute noodles. They make for the quickest lunchbox you can rustle up. Make a lemon sevai or mix with any ready pastes like Tomato pickle / thokku to make a tomato sevai.
Add a tempering of curry leaves, mustard seeds, red chillies on the top and it's ready.
In my 5 minute recipe, there's no ready pastes involved. I quickly pulsed roasted peanuts, sesame seeds and black pepper in the mixer and that was the flavouring for this dish that went into my kid's lunchbox today.
Time Saving Tips
- When you buy peanuts/groundnuts, roast them on the stove top / microwave or oven and keep in airtight jar. You can add them to a variety of dishes like salads, raitas, bhel etc
- When you buy a coconut, grate / scrape the whole coconut and keep it in a freezer safe box. Whenever you need a small bit of grated coconut, scrape it out using a sharp knife and use as required.
Sesame-Peanut Instant Sevai (Rice Noodles)
- Immerse the noodles in the hot water, cover and keep aside for 2-3 minutes. In the meanwhile coarsely powder the roasted peanuts, sesame seeds and black pepper corns in a small jar of the mixer.
- Drain the noodles using a colander, shake off all excess water.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a non-stick kadai / pan. Splutter mustard seeds, add curry leaves, dried red chilli and asafoetida, when the curry leaves crisp up, add the drained noodles, salt and coarse peanut-sesame powder.
- Toss well but gently until the noodles / sevai is well coated.
- Garnish with fresh coconut.
You could use the same recipe for poha (beaten rice).
I've used Anil brand Rice Sevai, 777 brand and found them to be good.