Savoury Baked Oats
[Recipe for Savoury Baked Oats - Video included]
We are no strangers to the abundant health benefits of oats. It makes a good, hearty, healthy breakfast, but the same old porridge for breakfast every morning just doesn't cut it, does it? The upside is that it does lend itself to a variety of dishes and you can never run out of interesting recipes to cook with oats.
Oats being an excellent source of plant protein, a whole grain providing fibre and energy for physical activities much needed for kids, it is good to include this superfood in their daily diet. I use oats liberally in baking muffins and cookies. A spoonful in smoothies gives it a creamy texture and oat flour acts as a healthy binding agent for patties or croquettes.
Most kids love Mac n Cheese and I use oats in a similar baked dish. Adding vegetables, whole wheat flour and olive oil adds to the nutrition quotient of this dish. This recipe for savoury baked oats with vegetables and cheese is my healthy spin on Mac n Cheese gets my son's 'This-is-quite-good-Mummy' stamp of approval. When Quaker asked us to bring our tastiest bowl of oats, this is the recipe I wanted to share!
The good thing is that it is very mildly spiced, with just a touch of pepper, so it is perfect for toddlers too. Just bake a tiny sized bowl for them, and allow them to dig in by themselves. For adults, feel free to add some heat by way of chilli flakes or finely chopped green chillies.
Watch the video recipe for Savoury Baked Oats
Savoury Baked Oats
For garnish (optional)
- In a pan, dry roast the oats for 4-5 minutes until aromatic and lightly golden. Remove onto a plate and keep aside.
- Peel and finely chop garlic. Peel and halve the onion. Slice finely. Wash the spinach leaves well and keep aside.
- Microwave the diced carrots for 2 minutes with 2-3 tbsp of water. Keep aside.
- Heat 2 tsp olive oil in a pan. Add the garlic and onion. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the blanched carrot and saute for 2 minutes, then add frozen peas and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the spinach leaves and saute until wilted.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce for the savoury baked oats. In a bowl, whisk the whole wheat flour with 3-4 tablespoons of the skimmed milk. Once you get a smooth lump free paste, add the remaining milk with constant whisking, along with olive oil. Add freshly grated nutmeg, black pepper and 1/2 tsp salt to this.
- Add this to the veggie mix in the pan, and allow to cook until it thickens and you don't taste any raw flour in the mix. If it gets too thick, thin down with 4-5 tbsp of water. Check for seasoning.
- Add the oats in with constant stirring. Allow the oats to cook for 3 minutes in this. Add a little more water to cook if it gets too dry.
- Preheat the oven at 190C. Divide the mixture between 3-4 oven proof bowls (or 1 large bowl). Top with breadcrumbs and cheese.
- Bake for 5-7 mins until cheese melts and turns golden. Serve hot as a one pot dinner.
This is my entry for Vikas Khanna's Bring Your Tastiest Bowl of Oats Challenge.
You too can participate in the 'Bring Your Tastiest Bowl of Oats' Challenge and Win Rs 50 Lakhs. Click here for all the rules of the contest and to participate in this challenge!
This post was in association with Quaker India.