Recipe for the perfect homemade pizza
It is very easy to make a pizza at home once you get the basics right
What's more, you can make it healthier by:
-adding healthy ingredients to the dough such as flaxseed and some whole wheat flour
-keep the crust as thin as you like to reduce the carbs
-add as little cheese as you want
This is one of the items we make in my Breaking Bread workshop and believe me when I tell you, if I don't take a picture in the first few seconds, it's all GONE.
That's only because, it turns out so good. I'm sharing the exact same recipe with you, so you can try it at home and you have some of my youtube videos to help you with the steps
Bubbly active yeast ready to use
My TOP 5 TIPS for a perfect pizza
1. Make sure your yeast is bubbly and active. I use the instant yeast Gloripan, available on online gourmet stores like Zansaar and some others. Learn how to activate yeast properly by watching my video.
2. Make sure the dough is doubled in volume
3. Don't make the spread out dough soggy by pouring too much sauce. Use a thin layer
4. Cheese goes first, then the toppings
5. Don't go overboard with toppings. Less is more. Too many toppings make the pizza thicker and the base won't get cooked properly
Photo courtesy my Bread workshop student-Harsha P (used with permission)
For Pizza Base
For Pizza Sauce
You also need-
- For base:
- In a large bowl, mix the water, sugar and yeast. Let it sit for 5-10 mins until frothy. This means that the yeast is active. Add the flours, flaxseed, milk, salt and knead until it comes together.
- Add the olive oil and knead till the dough is smooth (around 5 minutes). Cover and keep aside until doubled in volume. This could take 30 mins-1 hour depending on the weather.
- Divide into 3 or 4 balls and keep aside. If you are making one large rectangle, as shown in the picture, then no need to divide into 3 portions.
- Saffron Trail Kitchen -Video: How to activate yeast | Video: How to make pizza dough.
- For sauce:
- Heat the oil, saute the garlic and onions until soft (around 3-5 mins), do not brown the onions. Add all remaining ingredients, and simmer for 3-4 minutes along with fresh basil leaves. Remove into a bowl and keep aside.
- You can make this ahead of time and refrigerate in air tight container. Let this cool to room temperature before spreading on the dough.
- Keep the toppings of your choice and mozzarella cheese ready.
- To make pizza:
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease a large square of tin foil with olive oil. Place the ball of dough and with fingers stretch it out by pressing, into 7-8" diameter circle. Smear with oil and allow this to rest for 5 minutes.
- Spread the pizza sauce (2 tbsp) evenly over this. Top with cheese (sliced or grated) and then scatter toppings of your choice (olives, jalapenos, bell pepper, onions etc.) -don't overload pizza with toppings or it wont bake through.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 180°C until you see the edges are golden brown.
- Cut into pieces and eat immediately.