Recipe for Carrot and White Bean Hummus - a healthy, delicious dip
Is there anyone who does not like hummus? Seriously, it's one of the very few things in the food universe that is delicious, addictive and yet wont kill you. Protein-rich from the beans and good fats from extra virgin olive oil and tahini, it's the best snack to dig into with a few crackers or crudites. Adding veggies like carrot, beet or spinach to the hummus ups it's nutrition quotient further
A bowl of homemade hummus and you're just a spoon and two slices of bread away from a delicious sandwich, either for your sudden hunger pangs or your kid's lunchbox
I love white beans. They are also called Navy Beans (yeah, totally a misnomer). They are small sized, soak quickly, cook even faster. It's my favourite beans to add to soups, pasta, stews, salads and even hummus. Soak it for 3-4 hours in warm water and pressure cook for 1-2 whistles and it's done! Ready for you to use it in anyway you like
Do try this recipe, it's got this light and airy consistency as compared to chick pea hummus (which I love too). Here the carrots lend a bit of sweetness and a pale orange colour that makes this look so pretty on a platter. The fresh basil adds a pop of green and a spicy-sweet flavour that just rounds everything off so perfectly
Recipe for White Bean and Carrot Hummus
4 big servings
- Soak the white beans for 2-3 hours in lukewarm water.
- Drain and place in a small pressure cooker with 1.5 cups water.
- Peel and roughly chop carrots and place in a small cup, placing it in the same pressure cooker.
- On high heat, bring the cooker to 2 whistles. Switch of and allow to cool.
- In a blender, place the cooked and drained carrot and beans, tahini, red chilli, garlic, salt and yogurt, and blend to a puree.
- Remove this into a bowl. Add the lemon juice, 1.5 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and most of the chopped basil.
- Whisk well to combine.
- Remove this into a serving bowl. Garnish with olive oil, finely chopped basil and carrot sticks.
- Serve with crackers, veggie sticks or as a sandwich spread.
Prep ahead: Pressure cook beans and carrots while cooking rice or dal in a pressure cooker in separate compartments.
This hummus is an excellent source of fiber and good source of protein. If you don't find white beans, use any other beans of choice, soaked and cooked. In Bangalore, I buy white beans from Towness.com