Recipe for a healthy veggie burger
Who says veggie burgers aren't awesome? Once in a while I make veggie burgers for dinner-they are quick and easy to combine all the good stuff in one patty- easily accepted as fun food by adults and kids alike!
Take this burger for example, the flavours from each of the six vegetables, tofu for extra protein, plus healthy binding agents like flaxseed and oats and the crunch from sesame seeds makes it quite a nutritious little burger.
Place it in between a bun of choice with a couple of crisp lettuce leaves and some homemade mayo, along with your favourite sauce on the side, and it's the easiest quickest weeknight dinner. Not to mention, it sneaks in six vegetables!
Make sure you keep a portion shaped and frozen for your kid's lunchbox the following morning :) As there is no flour used in the recipe, it is also conveniently gluten free and vegan!
If you don't believe me that veggie burgers are super-awesome, check out Buzzfeed's compilation of 26 of the best veggie burgers!
Check out the details of my forthcoming workshops in the sidebar on your right!
Healthy Veggie Burger
Makes 4-6, depending on the size
Time taken: Around 30 minutes
- In a small pressure cooker, place the roughly chopped carrot, cauliflower and peas in a bowl. Place water in the cooker, not inside the bowl, and pressure cook for 3 whistles, until veggies are cooked.
- Open once cool enough to handle. Drain off any liquid and keep aside.
- In a large bowl, grate the tofu. Add the potato, cooked veggies and mash with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Add the ginger, garlic, finely chopped onion and capsicum and saute until almost cooked and soft. Remove from flame. To this add all the mashed veggies-grated tofu, flaxseed powder, sesame seeds, cumin, pepper, herbs, salt.
- Add enough oats to hold the mixture together. Make 5-6 round patties.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a non-stick pan or heavy bottomed, wide steel pan.
- Place the burgers gently and allow to cook on medium flame until crispy and golden brown. Turn and cook similarly on the other side.
- The mixture may not be suitable to place on a grill, but brushing oil on both sides, it may be okay with baking, place on a lined tray, and bake at 190°C for 10 minutes on each side.
Quick way to boil a single potato is to slice it in half, place in a small microwavable container with a lid with a few spoons of water. Close lid (which will have a vent) and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes. Cool for few minutes before peeling the potato.
I served the burger inside a pesto roll sliced midway, but use sliced bread or any burger buns you find, with some sliced tomato or lettuce, ketchup or mayo inside and enjoy it hot!.