How to make egg fried rice - Recipe for Egg Fried rice | Indochinese recipes
Egg fried rice is one recipe for which you can actually ensure that there's a box full of leftover rice sitting in the refrigerator. Finely chop a bunch of vegetables, scramble a few eggs and you have a wholesome meal ready in minutes. A couple of days ago, I read about Amanda Cohen's Secret Weapon Stir Fry sauce, and the next time I make fried rice, I am going to make sure that I try it out with this green flavour bomb. These cubes comprise of ginger, garlic, spinach, Thai basil, coriander and parsley all blended up and frozen in ice-trays. I love freezing pesto, pasta sauce, veggie mixes and even Kootu masalain the shape of ice cubes, store away in ziploc bags and preparing weeknight meals is just so simple.
Try my kitchen hacks using the ice-tray, to make your life simpler in the kitchen.
Egg fried rice is also a super quick lunchbox recipe. The protein from the eggs balance out the carbs in the rice, and there's always the scope of adding lots of veggies into the box via this dish. When I'm in a rush, I usually use the chopper that helps me finely chop the carrots, onions, cabbage and any other vegetables to a fine dice in just a couple of minutes, which makes this a super quick dish.
Recipe for Basic Egg Fried Rice
Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: under 30 minutes | Serves 2-4
Egg Fried Rice - Indian Chinese style
- Leftover rice works best for fried rice. You can cook rice the previous day, refrigerate and prepare fried rice the next day.
- To cook rice fresh, wash the rice well and pressure cook with scant 3 cups water for two whistles. Switch off the flame and allow cooker to cool. Remove the rice from the vessel onto a wide plate or bowl and cool well, fluff with a fork and keep aside.
PREPARING THE RICE
PREPARING THE EGGS
- Break the eggs in a bowl and beat to combine whites and yolks.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Grease a non stick pan with oil and place on medium heat. Once pan is hot, add the beaten eggs and scramble.
- Don't make this too dry. Break into small sized chunks and keep aside.
ASSEMBLING THE FRIED RICE
- In a large wok, heat the oil.
- Add the ginger, garlic, chillies.
- Saute on high heat for few seconds.
- Add the finely chopped vegetables and keep stirring on high heat for 2-3 minutes. You don't want them to lose their crunch.
- To this add the cooked and cooled rice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and toss well with a sharp steel spatula so that the rice is not mushed up.
- Add the scrambled eggs, toss well, remove from flame and garnish with finely chopped coriander.
You can even use brown rice for this to make it somewhat healthier. Cook and cool the brown rice well before proceeding with the recipe
You can also add finely chopped mushrooms, corn, capsicum to the veggie mix
This recipe is part of the endeavor to create a collection of recipes of Indian Chinese Recipes in collaboration with a few bloggers who share the same passion of cooking. All the recipes from #thekitchendivas are pinned on this Pinterest board.
Other Indo-Chinese recipes this week from #thekitchendivas
Chilli Garlic Chicken from WhiskAffair
Chicken Momos from Sinamon Tales
Potato and red kidney beans stir fry from FunFoodFrolic
Wonton Soupfrom Archana's Kitchen
(c) Nandita Iyer 2006-2015