Healthy Poha Made Protein Rich
Poha is all time favourite dish. No surprises there as I am a Mumbai girl, after all! This recipe for a healthy poha is my go to recipe for breakfast, tiffin or a light dinner.
Once you get the poha-soaking technique right, the rest of it is very easy. The only problem that batata poha or potatoes with beaten rice is that it is an out and out carbohydrate breakfast.For this reason, I like adding some protein in the form of soya granules and paneer, instead of the traditional potatoes in poha.
I mainly stock the soy nuggets and the soy granules. The nuggets make curries chunkier and protein rich. I have been told by my meat eating friends that cooked soy nuggets almost come close to the chewy texture of meat. The granules are used liberally in my kitchen, whenever I want to up the protein content in any recipe. Be it curries, gravies, anything. They blend in well, adding greatly to the nutrition quotient without making a difference to the original taste of the dish.
- Wash the poha and soy granules under running water in a bowl. Drain the water from the bowl completely. Cover and allow to sit for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile prep the other ingredients and keep them ready.
- Heat the oil in a wok. Add the cumin-mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add the curry leaves and chopped green chillies, broken red chillies, asafoetida and stir for few seconds.
- Add peanuts and stir on medium flame for 1-2 minutes until golden brown.
- Put in the sliced onions, stir for 1 minute on medium flame. Add a pinch of salt, stir to combine, cover and cook for 5 minutes, until onions are soft.
- Add the well drained and rehydrated poha-soya granules mix, along with turmeric, remaining salt and crumbled paneer.
- Stir well but gently. Check for salt. Cover and allow to steam for 2-3 minutes. Remove the poha into a serving bowl. Garnish with lemon juice, coriander and grated coconut.
- Serve hot with a wedge of lemon
Poha favourite partner in crime is Chai (Tea).
Check out my recipe for Adrak Chai on the blog
Watch my popular video on making MASALA CHAI