Black eyed peas and Zucchini Salad
Recipe for Curried Black eyed peas salad with Zucchini [vegan] [gluten free]
I love cooking with black eyed peas. Even though, I must admit that while cooking it gives off a mildly vile odour. But combine the cooked beans with freshly ground masala to make a curry or a delicately tempered Sundal, or mix it with a bunch of herbs and veggies to make a burger, and you'll realise what a delight this bean this. And oh, a vegetarian chili made using black eyed peas is my all time favourite!
While it's popular ingredient in Indian cooking, it's quite common in South American cooking too. It is considered lucky to eat black eyed peas on the new year for the belief that it brings prosperity.
Other names for black eyed peas: Cowpeas
Tamil - Karamani
Kannada - Alsande kalu
Hindi - Lobia / Rongi
Marathi - Chawli
Cooked black eyed peas can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2 days. 1 cup dried peas gives roughly 3 cups of cooked peas.
Black eyed peas / Lobia Nutrition:
1/2 cup cooked black eyed peas / lobia provide 99 calories, 6 grams of fiber and 7 grams of protein.
Isn't it wonderful that adding 1/2 cup of these cooked beans to your salad or curry can up your daily fiber and protein intake considerably!
If you are not a fan of raw spinach, toss the spinach in the pan along with the zucchini until wilted and then toss in the rest of the ingredients.
Black Eyed Peas Salad with Zucchini
- Soak the black eyed peas in plenty of water for 4 hours.
- Drain and add to a pot with 1 litre water and 2 bay leaves.
- Allow this to simmer for 20-25 minutes until cooked but not mushy. [Alternatively, place directly in a pressure cooker, covered with water with bay leaves and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Switch off and open cooker when cooled.] Drain the beans, keep aside.
- Dice the zucchini uniformly. Chop the onion to a similar size and keep aside.
- Finely slice the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add garlic, onion and diced zucchini.
- Saute for 5 minutes until veggies are somewhat softened. Add cooked black eyed peas, curry powder, salt and toss well. Keep aside.
- In a platter, arrange the spinach leaves in a layer. Pile the curried black eyed peas over this.
- Deseed and dice the tomato. Sprinkle the tomato over the pile of salad.
- Slice the dried apricots and sprinkle over the salad. Cut the green chili into juliennes and spread over salad.
- Squeeze a lemon over the top.