Best Eggless Mexican Cornbread Recipe
I have baked cornbread quite a few times and this was THE. BEST. EVER. I am not exaggerating. Cornbread is another Mexican cuisine essential, that goes great with the spicy Chili, which in the vegetarian version can be made with beans of your choice.
Make sure to bookmark this for your Vegetarian Mexican menu plan!
Especially if you are someone who has shied away from baking this because you don't eat eggs, you are in for a pleasant surprise. My husband quit eating eggs a few years ago and I am constantly figuring out ways to turn out decent baked stuff with replacements for egg and yesterday I hit gold. Flaxseed which is one of the best sources of Omega-3 for a vegetarian. You can buy the seeds and powder the quantity required for each recipe in a coffee grinder / chutney jar of mixer.
For each egg to be replaced - use 1 tbsp flaxseed powder whisked into 3 tbsp of very hot water. You will get an emulsion like beaten eggs and use it at the stage of the recipe when it calls for eggs.
This was most perfect match for the chili and I must add that my toddler son loved this too - in fact he was making it extremely difficult for me to take a picture, by digging his tiny fingers into it!
Recipe for Eggless Cornbread
Loosely adapted fromAlton Brown's Creamed Corn Cornbread recipe
In a large bowl, mix-
In a medium bowl, whisk well-
- Preheat the oven at 200C.
- Grease a loaf tin or line with tin foil.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry - till just combined and stir in the jalapenos, coriander leaves and corn kernels. I added a few spoons of the brine from pickled jalapenos as I found the mix somewhat dry. This gave a big flavour boost to the bread.
- Pour into greased loaf tin. Flatten lightly with wet fingers and bake for 20 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Let it rest for 15-20 minutes outside, before slicing.
Serve warm with chili. Recipe for chili posted here